Double live light switch causing problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to use a 2G light switch - one for the ceiling light and one for a display cabinet

The mains wiring is double live and earth
The cabinet is blue and brown

Can't get them to work independently

Help

Sponsored Links
wisemat said:
we do not need to know what colour your cabinet is

may i suggest you put a plug onto your cabinet light and plug it in, since it will be easier.

But if you really want to do it properly more correct information will be required.

"double live" =?

what have you got at the minute?
what are they connected to?
is the cabinet built into the wall or is it free standing?
(if it is free standing, it is considered Portable, and will still require a plug and socket incase you want to move it ,even for cleaning)

wisemat said:
I am trying to use a 2G light switch - one for the ceiling light and one for a display cabinet

The mains wiring is double live and earth

Can't get them to work independently

Help

you need a neutral for the cabinet. how have you got it wired now? just sayin what colours you have doesnt help us at all

Cabinet is not Blue and Brown!!
I did have a plug on the cabinet but that is what I am trying to get rid of!

I have a double light switch

The mains has two live feeds
The cabinet has the normal brown and blue

The inside of the switch has two separate "boxes" both say 1 way 2 on them
Both have 3 holes 1 & 2 way and common

Do I need a different kind of switch?

Sponsored Links
wisemat said:
but you first said
wisemat said:
Cabinet is Blue and Brown

please do not get upset, it is not my fault you do not give all the information required. you didnt say in the first place the cabinet had a plug on it and this is what you are trying to "do away with"

you also have not answered my question regarding the fixing of the cabinet, as i said if it is free standing you will still need a plug and socket.

i would suggest you look in "for refernce" to see how a light switch is wired.

This will show you that the job you wish to do is not as easy as you think it is. You will notice that as was posted not by me that you do require a neutral, which you will not find at your switch.

You will have to gain access to the main light in the room (lift floor boards above) run cable form light to switch, also run cable from same light to cabinet, then put a plug onto this cable if cabinet is not fixed.

so you now see why it will be easier to leave it as it is.

wisemat said:
I did have a plug on the cabinet but that is what I am trying to get rid of!

I have a double light switch

The mains has two live feeds
The cabinet has the normal brown and blue

The inside of the switch has two separate "boxes" both say 1 way 2 on them
Both have 3 holes 1 & 2 way and common

Do I need a different kind of switch?
unless you want to get a neutral from the light to the cabinet... looks like your stuck with it bein on a plug

Sorry - I thought that when I said blue and brown, it would be obvious I was talking about wires and not the colour of the cabinet. Note to self to make things clearer in future.

The switch doesn't have a neutral - the main room light is already connected to the original switch

Not an easy place to put a plug unfortunately (ex-council property - rubbish wiring and plugs are few and far between)

Back to 5 metres of wire running round the room then but thanks anyway

PS: I know how to wire a single light switch... honest

wisemat said:
I know how to wire a single light switch... honest

i dont think so.

you may know how to replace one, but not to wire one, becuse if you did, you would knowm there is normally no neutral at a light switch.

i also think your cabinet is not brown and blue, but in fact it is reallyblue and brown ;)

and after all that you still didnt say if it was fixed, which i assume it is not, so you would still need a plug and socket anyway

I might have lied a bit about the socket .. perhaps I was thinking of a plug but my father was doing the job so it's just as well.

The cabinet is limed oak ... and it plugged back into a socket about 5 feet away with the aid of a white cable and some cable clips.

It all seemed like a good idea at the time but nice talking to you

(The electrician wanted £380 to put in 3 triple plugs and replace a fan and I hadn't mentioned the cabinet at that time.. but he might have sussed out the switch problem... and charged me another £50!) :rolleyes:

heeelllooo wiseman
it may help you to remember the light switch is in a loop with one or more lights to be turned on at once. the only way to turn the light on is to turn the switch on [complete the circuit live side hence only red or red sleeved wires should be in there]
to add a farther light in the circuit at the switch would be in series [sharing the voltage like a xmass tree so reduced brightness ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back