Double oven and electric hob upgrade

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to replace a gas hob with an electric hob.

The hob is 6Kw and the double oven 4Kw.

The double oven is connected to a cooker control unit socket with 6mm cable and this protected by a 32Amp circuit breaker.

Using diversity is it going to be safe to link the hob and oven to the control unit via the junction box.

OR do I need to upgrade the circuit breaker to 45amp and the cable from the cobsumer unit?

Sponsored Links
A 32 amp is usually ok for household cookers of ratings up to 15kw.
A circuit between 15 amps and not higher than 50 amps may supply 2 or more cooking appliances within the same room, the contol switch must be not more than 2 meters away from the appliences (use comon sense for the location) you can feed both appiences from the same switch as long as they are not more than 2 meters away from contol switch.

I want to connect a hob and oven to the same control box. The posts say that it must be within 2 metres of the switch. That will be OK but the Hob reqires 4-5 meters of cable and the oven needs 1.5. Is this OK?

Hi m8
The regs say you must be no more than 2 meters away, why do you need 4 meters of cable?

Sponsored Links
The Hob will be within 2 metres of the switch (as the crow flies), However as I am placing it opposite the oven I need to run the cable round the units which adds up to 4 metres. Is there any problem with having the cable longer than 2 metres?

Also the Hob has a fuse rating of 30Amps and oven has a fuse rating of 20 Amps. Can I still connect both of these to the 30Amp circuit or will I need tio upgrade the breaker to 50Amps?

dandpclements said:
I want to replace a gas hob with an electric hob.
No - don't do it!

Electric hobs are the Devil's work - gas is the only sensible option for hobs...

I would imagine the Devil would much prefer gas - open flames and all that...

Why do you think gas is the only option?

i would say only option is a bit of an exageration but GAS has several major advantages

1: no large plate to heat up
2: no large plate to cool down
3: visible flame to warn you its on.
4: usually more power availible

the first three mean that you are less likely to get burnt and you have more control over the heat entering the pan. The last one allows you to cook faster.

plus gas is cheaper per KWH than leccy

Well thanks for you gas insights. However it makes no difference to me in this case. I don't cook that much inside (gas BBQ outside!) and to install a hob where I want it would mean running the gas pipe all round the kitchen so I just wanted to install an nice simple flat ceramic hob....

So back to the original question before we got side tracked by shed-boy. Can I just upgrade the MCB to 50 Amps to connect both hob (30Amps) and double oven (20Amps) to the same circuit?

AndyCat said:
So back to the original question before we got side tracked by shed-boy. Can I just upgrade the MCB to 50 Amps to connect both hob (30Amps) and double oven (20Amps) to the same circuit?
No - the cable is 6mm², remember.

Diversity calcs say that 32A will be fine, if you believe them.

Cool thanks.

Looks like I'm good to go then - never gonna have all 4 burners on full blast along with top and bottom ovens at full temp anyway.

Hi Andy

There is no reason why can not run 2 cooker points of the same 6mm cable, joing them together may be tricky due to the size of the cable and terminals "This would get around the 2 meter rule". (i would bet that there is lots of kitchen's installed with more than 4 meters of trailing cable on them and tucked behind units "BUT THIS IS AGAINST THE REGS"
Your call.

Onesongrg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back