Double sprung hinges .. . .

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK, so they swing both ways :) . . .

I am having grief with 'em . . .the first door I tried to hang was a fire door and was quite obviously heavier than they were rated for. So I built a door, much lighter and with a vision window. they still wouldn't hold the door. So now I have upgraded to the biggest baddest hinges I can find. Only thing is, they are slightly different to the original hinges and didn't come wiht instructions . . .

here are the original hinges :

the instructions specified that hinges be fitted so that the spring adjustment holes were at the top of hinge . . .

and here are the new hinges:

wiht one set of adjusters at the top and the other at the bottom!

my question is thus:

does it make any difference which way up I mount the hinges???!!

thanks for any input,

cheers

Huey

Sponsored Links
IT makes no difference where the holes are, just make sure you turn it the right way to increase spring pressure.

What does make a difference is removing a fire door and fitting these type of hinges to a fire rated opening as there is effectively no stop.

Jason

thanks Jason -

it's not that a fire door is needed, just that the first door I tried to hang was a fire door - I put in a wide frame, but then realised that the door needs to be cut down a fair bit - more than a crappy internal door could take . . .

cheers

oh, and so which way are you supposed to wind them?

are both springs (ie. the one fixed to frame and one fixed to door) suppsed to be wound AFTER the door is hung?

thanks again!

Sponsored Links
You will soon feel which may the spring wants to pull but basically move the pin away from the stop to increase the spring tension.

Jason

there is a particular way to fit these hihges.. put them the wrong way around and they will fail..... i will come back once i have remembered which way..

really? damn, i really need to get this right - these big ones cost me 70 quid! thanks!

Didn't they come with instructions? they usually do, its about 5 yrs since I last fitted any so can't recall anything specific.

Jason

no instructions - but I got em at Haefle so will try their tech department tomorrow . . .

will let you know how I get on . .

The hinge should fit centrally on the doorstop and then you need to plant a strip of wood on the door to allow the hinge to sit centrally on that as well. They are a pain in the arse to fit!

it went well . . . .

the door I built is 38 mm thick, so I attached a strip of 38mm x 16mm timber down the centre of one side of the door lining. with the hinges mortised into both this and the door it is swinging away happily. the gap on leading edge is about a mil or two out top to bottom, so a touch of planing required tomorrow . . .other than that it's all good - EXCEPT it is not closing centrally. I think this is due to different tensions in the springs so will experiment tomorrow. . .

i am no longer scared of bomber hinges!

no more than three notches on the top and no more than two on the bottom...

and where you add the pin... should be at the top of the door on the top hinge and at the bottom of the lower hinge...

memory is a good thing... when you can..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back