Doubling up lintels

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Guys ive to double up lintels over a door.
Just to confirm really....is there a bed of mortar required between lintels?
Cheers,
Marty.

Sponsored Links
concrete...4 inch wide 3 high...10.5 feet long
cheers,
Marty,

(im guessing the fact u asked which then it requires mortar)
also should i stick a few wallties thru them to prop the insulation??

I would not of thought that 2 three inch lintels would be suitable for that span ,as they would be acting as individual lintets .Isuggest a single concretelintel of the right proportions for this span or a catnic lintel

Sponsored Links
span is 8 foot 4 only...ive a foot bearing either side.

Well Martyc,Itwas only my opinion based on the the dimensions you gave which I beleive was 10.5 long.Even on a 8ft span a 3" lintel would not be good enough ,because the length in relation to thedepth would cause the lintel to sag or break

Splinter is right. Those lintels are way too small for that span. Can you even get 10ft long 3" lintels? I've seen them maybe 6 or 7ft long but I don't think I've ever seen them anywhere near 10ft.

Anyway, steel lintels will be cheaper than concrete for those spans and a lot lighter - so easier to handle. Size depends on loadings?

Splinter maybe ive the wrong term or something...these are concrete lintels with steel running thru them...10'6" and i just received 6 of em!(4 inch wide and 3 inch tall)
And there not too heavy either..2 pairs of hands and their easy manage.
Maybe its a regs difference thing...regs here only require steel after 9 foot of an opening.
Anyway i have em now so id like to use em!!
Load is 7 courses of dense 4" block capped off.

So...mortar and/or wallties between the lintels or not?(im doubling them up on a SE's advice, so there will be 4 altogether over the opening.
Marty.

Take you coat!! :LOL:

Right have 2 of them in...had to build a tent around the whole thing as it raining all day...
Cheers,
Marty.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back