Down lights/Spotlights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am going to fit 12 down lights 230v 50W bulbs, to my ceiling.

I\\\'m hoping i can connect them to my room ceiling light/connection.

should i use 1 12 point connection/junction box or split them into 3\\\'s ?

And what cable should i use, please.

Thank You

Sponsored Links
Speedy said:
should i use 1 12 point connection/junction box
No such animal, and you'll struggle to get lots of cables into a normal JB.

Best plan would probably be based on what makes the most sense from a physical POV, i.e. where the lights are in relation to each other, to the existing rose and to the joists, but at all times seeking to minimise the use of JBs - i.e. daisy chain from one light to the next as much as possible.

And what cable should i use, please.
Same as the existing lighting circuit - 1.0mm² or 1.5mm² twin & earth.

I think Speedy's talking about one of those CH joint boxes where a 12 way block has been mounted in a double pattress with a BP on top.

No such animal, i must be barking mad :D

I will daisy chain them, i think that will be the easy way to do it for the space Ive got to work in is plenty.

Thing is, i wasn't sure if daisy chaining them was safe enough.

Maybe if i daisy chain 6, then another 6.

Just one thing about the cable, i got 1.00mm cable, but not twin n earth.
I may be sounding stupid with the next comment/question but the lights Ive got only have twin cable, brown n blue. if i use twin n earth do i connect the earth to the metal of the new light fitting.

Hope that makes sense ?

I'm going to look on this site for a Pro to check everything once i done it, will most sparkys be ok at doing this or would it be to small of a job for them ?

Regards

Speedy

Sponsored Links
Speedy said:
Thing is, i wasn't sure if daisy chaining them was safe enough.
Why on earth not?

Just one thing about the cable, i got 1.00mm cable, but not twin n earth.
Are you sure that's cable you've got, and not flex??

I may be sounding stupid with the next comment/question but the lights Ive got only have twin cable, brown n blue. if i use twin n earth do i connect the earth to the metal of the new light fitting.
Not if they are double insulated fittings. If they don't have earth terminals then don't try to earth them, just keep the earth continuity going with pieces of choc-block.

Your right, it is flex and not cable. is that ok ?

The rating of it is 10A 2400W

I see a re-visit to the electric shop ?

Thanks for you help.

Should use cable, if anyone managed to do some damage in the future by hanging xmas decs or something, at least there is the protection of the earth core.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back