Downlighter advice.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to fit 3 downlighters in my new bathroom and 2 in the adjacent corridor. This is a first floor with loft above, the corridor has a plasterboard ceiling with 270mm mineral wool, the bathroom will have - pvc ceiling cladding, 50mm plasterboard with PIR insulation bonded to it and 270mm mineral wool above.

IMG_20211103_093445162.jpg

I have 5 of these light fittings:

IMG_20211103_092911476.jpg

Are these suitable, everywhere, or anywhere? The one near the bath I think is zone 2 (and even if just outside it will be close to a rainhead shower).

I think I need to cover- IP rating, fire spread
and the loft insulation. They will be fitted with led "bulbs". I suspect the answer will be that I should use something else (although I'd prefer to make use of them). If it can't be then I'd prefer something with replaceable "bulbs" in case we don't like the temperature or they turn out to be too bright or dim.

As always, thanks.

Sponsored Links
The power supply with that fitting is for halogen lamps and is not suitable for LEDs, so don’t use those fittings.
Get 240v fittings with GU10 lamps.

The power supply with that fitting is for halogen lamps and is not suitable for LEDs, so don’t use those fittings.
Get 240v fittings with GU10 lamps.

The other 5 from the pack have been in use with 12v LEDs with no apparent problems for some years, is it a safety issue?

Happy to use new 240v fittings if that's the advice, do they need to be smoke/loft proof etc or do you still fit hoods over them?

Sponsored Links
There are no zones around basins and higher than 2.25m. from the floor is outside the zones anyway.

The other 5 from the pack have been in use with 12v LEDs with no apparent problems for some years, is it a safety issue?

Happy to use new 240v fittings if that's the advice, do they need to be smoke/loft proof etc or do you still fit hoods over them?
It clearly says on the power supply for halogen lights. It also clearly says 20 to 60VA. LEDs are maybe 5 watts. Many people have reported problems on these forums with LEDs flickering or not working in similar scenarios. There are no advantages in using 12v LED lamps over 240v. I would fit hoods over them personally.

No you don't.

They do not need to be 'fire-rated' at all.

Cutting big holes in you nice new ceilings is not a good idea.

My wife says if she doesn't get downlighters it won't be holes in the ceiling I'll have to worry about!

I've never understand the zone thing being measured from the floor when it comes to the bath, especially with the fashion for rain showers (ours will be ceiling mounted), as soon as you step into the bath you, water and light fittings can get very close together.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back