Downlighter holes in ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've bought a house with many downlighters installed in the ceilings. We want to replace them but many of the holes have been damaged by previous removal and re-insertions. Some of them are considerably oversize or not round. What's the best way to repair these? Is there a way of making the edges of the holes more robust?

Bob

Sponsored Links
if there`s a lot ov holes i myself would overboard it.rather than tryin to patch it up :) plasterboards aint dear either and it`ll look better.

If you do overboard then make sure the light fittings you intend to use will handle the extra thickness of two plasterboards.

Are you going to reskim the ceiling? if so then can you cut new hols and patch the old ones with some plasterboard? (need to fix the latter by some sort of clever gluing arrangement in the ceiling.

WabbitPoo said:
If you do overboard then make sure the light fittings you intend to use will handle the extra thickness of two plasterboards.

Just cut an extra sized hole where the old lights were before adding the new layer.

Sponsored Links
I rewired the lighting & ring main circuits of an old flat roof extension by cutting suitably placed 75mm dia holes in the plasterboard ceiling, I then re-used the plugs I had cut out to close up all the holes. I stuck the plugs back using grab adhesive (although you could use drywall adhesive) stuck over the join with several, cris-cross strips of glass fibre reinforcing/repair tape & then skimmed them over. It’s not cracked & you can’t see the joins or the slight variation in plaster depth over the repairs areas unless you put a straight edge over it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back