Downlighters in my extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I hope someone can advise me. I just had LV halogens fitted in my new bathroom and mains halogens in my new bedroom (It's an extension). I want to floor the loft above both of these - My electrician has said that there shouldn't be a problem (I know they get quite hot) and I don't need to fit hoods of any kind. However, just looking at another post, someone has mentioned that if there is a dwelling above, then hoods are required to stop the spread of fire. Would this be a fire casued by the lights or another fire not connected to the lights? There isn't a dwelling above, but I want to be sure I don't burn my house down!

Sponsored Links
Thanks Spark123. It's a weighty document, I got to page 64 and gave up as I don't get a specific answer to my question. I'll just go with what my electrician said and floor my loft without hoods over the lights. I could floor the loft before I finished reading that document

Thanks anyway for your help.

Sponsored Links
The BRE researched this matter (though I can't find the link to that doc at the moment) and concluded that Fire Hoods are not required in a residential setting with normal plasterboard ceilings. A fire hood is, probably, only required when downlighters are installed in a block of flats, say, where the ceiling has to have 60 mins of fire resistance.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back