downlighters LED - wiring in flex

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My electrical guy says 0.75mm flex can be used to string a set of downlighters together. To be specific, string the led drivers together rather than directly to the hot LED housing.

Is this wrong?

Sponsored Links
It depends on the size of the fuse protecting the lighting circuit. In a lighting circuit with a 6amp fuse the recommended cable size would be 1.0mm².

0.75mm² is usually only used for the drops on a lighting pendant. Its CCC is only 6amp in ideal conditions.

PS. Does this "flex" have an earth (CPC) or is it only two core?

PS. What is a
hot LED housing
??

I was answering the OP on the basis that this 0.75 Was the interconnect on the 230volts side of the driver.

Maybe he means in the output (to the LED) side of the driver(s).

More info please @BigClick

Sponsored Links
I was answering the OP on the basis that this 0.75 Was the interconnect on the 230volts side of the driver.
That was also how I read what hew wrote.
Maybe he means in the output (to the LED) side of the driver(s).
I wouldn't have thought so, given that he wrote ...
... To be specific, string the led drivers together rather than directly to the hot LED housing.
... he surely would not be 'stringing together' the outputs of the 'drivers', would he?

Kind Regards, John

It depends on the size of the fuse protecting the lighting circuit. In a lighting circuit with a 6amp fuse the recommended cable size would be 1.0mm².

0.75mm² is usually only used for the drops on a lighting pendant. Its CCC is only 6amp in ideal conditions.

PS. Does this "flex" have an earth (CPC) or is it only two core?

PS. What is a
??
Hi and thanks for the reply...

Hot LED housing = the actualy bit with the led in and is connected to the driver by heat resitant flex

when i mentioned about 1mm cable he said that that is for solid core and that flex carries more current??

thanks again :)
That was also how I read what hew wrote.
I wouldn't have thought so, given that he wrote ...

... he surely would not be 'stringing together' the outputs of the 'drivers', would he?

Kind Regards, John
No the driver has a connection enclosure for the 240 supply and is presided to the led housing

when i mentioned about 1mm cable he said that that is for solid core and that flex carries more current??
1mm² T&E cable is solid, and would be used for lighting circuits. It's the smallest size of T&E cable available.
Flex can be obtained in smaller sizes, but is also available in 1mm² and many larger sizes.

It's the cross sectional area which determines the current capacity, not whether it is solid or stranded.

... when i mentioned about 1mm cable he said that that is for solid core and that flex carries more current??
In addition to what you have already been told, I would point out that the truth is actually the opposite of what your electrical guy told you. According to the figures in the Wiring Regulations, solid core 1mm² T+E cable can carry 15A, whereas 1mm² flex can carry only 10A.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back