Downlighters - must be fireproof?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

we are having our home renovated with extension out the back and conversion of the garage. We planned to use GU10 downlighters and LED bulbs.

We have bought downlighters for all of downstairs and our builder thinks we have bought the wrong lights as they must be fireproof and ours are not.

From what i have read, this should only apply to flats and not a 1930s house renovation? is this correct or do i need to get fireproof in order for it to be signed off for regs?

thanks

Sponsored Links
Fitting fire rated units will certainly help to maintain any fire barrier between up and downstairs. I would install as a matter of course.

Basically, is says that you need to use fire-rated fittings if you compromise the integrity of a fire-rated surface (e.g. ceiling) or a fire compartment by making that surface into an illuminated swiss cheese.

So. Is the ceiling a fire-rated ceiling (usually something like a garage roof or a ceiling with another dwelling above (eg flat)?
If its not fire-rated then you do not necessarily need fire-rated downlights.

Mind you, if I were putting downlights in my kitchen ceiling [I'm NOT!] then I would want them to be fire-rated. Its my daughter's bedroom above.
However, the kitchen ceiling is standard 12.5mm plasterboard skimmed, so that won't give even 30minutes fire resistance, so there's no point.

Sponsored Links
Personally I would never fit anything other than fire rated downlights, even if they are fitted with LED lamps. BUT I have fitted non fire rated ones in a building where, because of the solid upper floor, there was insufficient space to accommodate the large can.

Not sure of the relevance of "Even if they are fitted with LED lamps"?

LEDs are available as fire-rated, just as are halogen.

Personally I would never fit anything other than fire rated downlights

Why not?

I bet you only fit 3 core SWA too?

I can't remember the last time I fitted a fire rated downlighter. Another complete waste of money.

There is none, assuming you know what fire rated lights do.

Not sure if that's meant as a reply to my comment on lamps, or regarding the fittings.

I agree (if it's what you mean) that fire-rated lamps are a bit of a puzzle. As far as I can see they're all just made of glass. But some are marked as Fire-rated, and some are not. :confused:

Perhaps the sparky is one of those idiots who think that "Fire Rated" == "Don't need any ventilation space round them" ? Ie, that they can be installed in a manner completely inconsistent with common sense and the MIs by embedding them in insulation.

Or one who thinks that when used with halogens they could start a fire were they not "fire-rated", hence "I would never fit anything other than fire rated downlights, even if they are fitted with LED lamps".

Hi

we are having our home renovated with extension out the back and conversion of the garage. We planned to use GU10 downlighters and LED bulbs.

We have bought downlighters for all of downstairs and our builder thinks we have bought the wrong lights as they must be fireproof and ours are not.

From what i have read, this should only apply to flats and not a 1930s house renovation? is this correct or do i need to get fireproof in order for it to be signed off for regs?

thanks

Well, is he a competent electrician?

Fire rated are only required where the room in question, is directly BELOW a seperate property.

I'm still no wiser (and possibly the OP may like to know) what the difference is between a standard GU10 lamp, and a fire-rated GU10 lamp.

Does anyone know?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back