Downlighters not working!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Experts!

When I moved into my new place the lounge/dining room had downlighters already installed about 8 in total. Recently a couple of them have ceased to work. I replace all the bulbs with 50w 12v bulbs but still no luck, so I did a bit of research and found a little info on how these downlighters work and me being a complete diy numpty couldnt really understand how it all works. I take it I will have to replace transformers etc. I need a little guidance on that.

I usually figure things out pretty quickly when I am able to see what I am doing the main problem I have is how the heck do I get to the transformers? How do I get into the ceiling without pulling the whole thing down because the lounge is on the ground floor. The previous people must have had the lights installed into the ceiling before they put it up. I am very confused.

Should I just spend lots of money that I dont have on an Electrician?? Please so no!

Sponsored Links
Hello,

Usually/hopefully when take a 'downlighter' out, there is enough room to also get the transformer out too, (through the same hole) !

Have you tried this ?

Ed.

It can be pretty dark up there! A tip I discovered was to mount a small mirror on a stick and shine a light up the stick and hey presto you can see around corners.

I used a make-up type mirror you get on blusher etc, not that I wear make-up. (not during week anyway :D )

Hello,

Usually/hopefully when take a 'downlighter' out, there is enough room to also get the transformer out too, (through the same hole) !

Have you tried this ?

Ed.

I have tried taking the downlighter out but the clips seem rather stiff and I dont want to force it too much and break the ceiling. Is there some sort of tool you can use to hook around the clips and just pull them up. (if not you may see me on dragons den in the near future ;0)

Sponsored Links
It can be pretty dark up there! A tip I discovered was to mount a small mirror on a stick and shine a light up the stick and hey presto you can see around corners.

I used a make-up type mirror you get on blusher etc, not that I wear make-up. (not during week anyway :D )

Good tip! Just hope it doesnt turn into a search and rescue mission for my wifes make upm mirror and anything else I lose up there! :p

breaking bits on the ceiling is still cheaper than hiring a sparks.

why not get at them from above?

try testing for 12volts at the pins on the lampholders first,sometimes if you push the lamp in too hard you can break them before they get a chance to work,learn the lamp wiggle technique(dont teach you that in college)!

failing all that can you get long nose pliers inside the fitting and ease the clips off the fitting?
if you can do that,then cut round the lights with a stanley and ease off the ceiling

try testing for 12volts at the pins on the lampholders first

This an often give you misleading results.

Electronic transformers and high impedance volt meters don't work together too well

Hi thanks for all the tips, I managed to get the transformer out and I took some pics of it. It looks as if there is some burnt damage on the connection between the transformer and light. How do I test whats the issue here. This doesnt look a straight forward transformer to replace. HELP!!!

electric1.png

electric2.png

electric3.png

Nice pictures :D

Well it certainly looks like the connectors for the lampholder wiring have burnt out.

You should be able to cut the wires off from the old connectors and replace them with some more 15A strip connectors.

Don't disconnect the wires. The copper will have likely been damaged by the heat, so you should cut this bit off.

Nice pictures :D

Well it certainly looks like the connectors for the lampholder wiring have burnt out.

You should be able to cut the wires off from the old connectors and replace them with some more 15A strip connectors.

Don't disconnect the wires. The copper will have likely been damaged by the heat, so you should cut this bit off.

Thanks I thought I would put my sony cybershot to some good use ;)

Ok thanks for the advice, thing is though what caused this to happen what if it keeps happening surely there is something wrong. There are three lights that are the not working I can only assume the same thing is wrong with the other two.

I guess the question is, what the usual cause of this?

Ive seen soooo many downlighters fail exactly like this. Not entirely sure what causes it. It could be as daytona says, or just a poorly made connection.

i was thinking that the lamp holder is way to close to the lamp just remake the connections mate, and remember on the LAMP HOLDER part of the transformer it doesnt matter what cables are joined. as the lights arent polarity consiences. and that transformer looks old school maybe might wanna think about replacing it with some aurora ones (real nice quality) or something of such nature and dont worry about the ceiling bit of bonding and or pollyfilla is okay :)

i was thinking that the lamp holder is way to close to the lamp just remake the connections mate, and remember on the LAMP HOLDER part of the transformer it doesnt matter what cables are joined. as the lights arent polarity consiences. and that transformer looks old school maybe might wanna think about replacing it with some aurora ones (real nice quality) or something of such nature and dont worry about the ceiling bit of bonding and or pollyfilla is okay :)

Thanks to you all! I will be attempting my repairs this evening.

and that transformer looks old school maybe might wanna think about replacing it with some aurora ones (real nice quality) or something of such nature

Personally, I would not be looking to replace that transformer. It looks like a proper toroidal transformer - i.e. it's going to last forever...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back