Downlighters

mb

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

What should be the minimum distance a GU10 downlighter should be away from a joist. (Bareing in mind I've just cut the hole out and the lamps basically touching it!)

Thanks

Sponsored Links
That's too close!!!

If it's an open back type I think you should be checking you household insurance policy for fire damage.

Alternatively fit CFL low energy lamps and you may be OK

needless to say it is open back, had considered a fire hood. but resined to the fact I'm going to have to move it. (Suggested distance). Would a CFL really make that much of a difference?!

The fitting instructions for the downlighters will state the minimum distance.
Sounds like you've got a hole to fill & another one to cut :cry:

Can you reveal what room the lights are going in?

Sponsored Links
It's the bathroom, they are ip65 and on a rcd. That's the funny thing the instructions don't give any suggested distances! just say drill a 66mm hole to put the light in!

Get your self a metal detector and a pencil

sweep the ceiling with detector and mark where it detects fixings this should give you position of joists. You need to know which way they run but you've now discovered that by accident.

If I have to fit the b*ggers I usually try and fit them mid way between joists. I also fit fire rated versions as they are enclosed and there's less chance of debris collecting around the lamp and increasing the fire risk.

And finally please note todays downlighters are tomorrows decking.

Today electricians are busy fitting downlighters, tomorrow plasterers will be even busier filling holes! ;)

Thanks guy's look's like I'm going to have to learn how to plaster a celing, then have another go at the lights! Isn't it nice to learn the hard way :D

We all have some time

When you cut out the next hole keep the cut out bit get a strip of ply wood the same width as diameter of hole push that up through hole screw if to plaster board then stick cut out bit to it and fill gaps.

At least you're doing it on your own house - trying to do this before customer gets home can be a tad stressfull!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back