Downlights in my loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi To all

I am quite a newbie to electrics but get the basics and understand the saftey issues,Just really after some advice.I have brought from a local diy store some downlights for my loft.Now when i got some for my kitchen each set of three had there own transformer and they were fine no probs,these new ones dont have a transfomer and i want 6 in my loft,three either side,I tried to run them as is and my fuse did blow ( even though the guide with the lights stated you dont really need a transformer )Is it because i'm trying to run six,Would it be best to buy new lights with transformers or by a couple?Thanks aload

Sponsored Links
The lights dont have an earth,just live and neutral,they have 35 watt halogen bulbs.I have run the lights off the light ring in the attic,running the continuation of the live through a 1way switch.thanks

1) lihts are noy usualy wired in a ring

2) I still dont know the lamp voltage

Sponsored Links
I cut the wire that goes to the lights in the bedroom and run a feed from that to a switch then onto the lights,I'm not at home at the mo so will check what the lights are.Just to also point out i have daisy chained the lights together as per the instructions.Thanks for you quick responses.

The box states transformer free lighting,cant find the instructions that came with it.The information on the downlights themselfs is MAX 50Watt GU10 240v~50 hz.The cable off the attic main runs straight to a switch then to the lights

--------cable to switch-------------------goes to lights

lights are on two cables three daisy chained one side and three the other

-------cable from switch ---==============Three lights on each line

Sorry about the crude diagram

Thanks

After reading info of this site ( very helpful ) i think i will wire this a different way.If i run the cable from the lights to the switch.Then run a cable off the attic ring into a ceiling rose connection then connect the lights to the ceiling rose it should work instead of running the live the cable off the attic ring straight to the switch and then too the lights.
Does that sound right?thanks aload people

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back