downstairs switch stops upstairs switch from working???

Thank you.

And of the wires connected to the switch upstairs, which go up and which down?

EG, wire connected to terminal C goes up, etc....

Sponsored Links
And entrance hall light switch is OFF when DOWN and ON when UP?

Jon, I THINK I have got it.

I have drawn out various permutations on paper.

The one I have in front of me is like this:

As you can see, I have made an assumption that the black on the downstairs landing switch is the feed. You will have to confirm this.

If the downstairs landing switch is off, then the strappers just form a big loop, running through Common and terminal 1 of the GF switch, then either stopping at terminal 1 on the upstairs switch if that switch is down or completing the loop if it is in the up position.

However, switch the downstairs landing switch on and you then have a feed through to the upstairs switch.

If the black wire in the downstairs landing switch is the live feed, then it should go to the common. The two reds then go to 1 and 2 in that switch.

In the upstairs switch, the wire in terminal 2 and the wire in the common terminal should be swapped round.

Of course, I may have it wrong. But start by checking to see if the black is a live feed. If it is, we may be onto something.

Jon, I THINK I have got it.

I have drawn out various permutations on paper.

The one I have in front of me is like this:

As you can see, I have made an assumption that the black on the downstairs landing switch is the feed. You will have to confirm this.

If the downstairs landing switch is off, then the strappers just form a big loop, running through Common and terminal 1 of the GF switch, then either stopping at terminal 1 on the upstairs switch if that switch is down or completing the loop if it is in the up position.

However, switch the downstairs landing switch on and you then have a feed through to the upstairs switch.

If the black wire in the downstairs landing switch is the live feed, then it should go to the common. The two reds then go to 1 and 2 in that switch.

In the upstairs switch, the wire in terminal 2 and the wire in the common terminal should be swapped round.

Of course, I may have it wrong. But start by checking to see if the black is a live feed. If it is, we may be onto something.

That looks great. I will have a look at that as soon as I am home. The diagram is so helpful as well.

I cant thank you enough for helping me.

I will update you on how it goes..... :D

Sponsored Links
Nope!

They are a pictorial representation of the MK switches Jon has which are two way: where the fourth terminal goes, there is nothing, represented (perhaps confusingly) by a cross on my hastily scribbled diagram.

I can't believe the picture has posted USD! When I uploaded it, it was the right way up.... :evil:

Are those intermediate switches?
The mouldings of the switch modules are clearly 'versatile' ones which could be used for anything (including intermediate switches) - but I can't quite see in any of the pictures whether there is actually in terminal in the hole labelled "SP". I have to say that, although I've seen many variants of switch labelling, I think that ("1", "2", "COM" and "SP") is probably one I haven't come across before!

Kind Regards, John

I can't believe the picture has posted USD! When I uploaded it, it was the right way up.... :evil:
It still is - are you standing on your head? :)

[and, BTW, what I was referring to in my last post was the switches in the photos, not secure's diagram]

Kind Regards, John

My only puzzle about my logic is that if the spark wanted a live feed for the upstairs, why did he not do the usual and piggy back off the live for the hall switch?

UNLESS....the upstairs feed is from a different fuse way.

But then if it was, that poses another puzzle... why the joined blacks at the FF landing switch position (assuming they ARE indeed neutrals)?

They might be live conductors... assume nowt!

My grey matter hurts. I'm off for a bit!

Well done John for working out that I was referring to the photographs of the switch plates. Just wondered whether these were intermediates as that may explain the difficulty the OP is having.

Regards

Well done John for working out that I was referring to the photographs of the switch plates. Just wondered whether these were intermediates as that may explain the difficulty the OP is having.
Yes, it might - but, as I said, I can't see from the photos whether there is a terminal in the fourth 'hole'.

joninprague: does the fourth 'hole', labelled "SP", on those switches have a brass terminal inside, or is it just 'empty'?

Kind Regards, John

Yes, it might - but, as I said, I can't see from the photos whether there is a terminal in the fourth 'hole'.

joninprague: does the fourth 'hole', labelled "SP", on those switches have a brass terminal inside, or is it just 'empty'?

Kind Regards, John

hi john, the sp holes are just empty and came without any screws so i assume they are not meant to be used.

hi john, the sp holes are just empty and came without any screws so i assume they are not meant to be used.
That's what I rather assumed - so you can't forget the possibility that your problem is due to your having bought 'intermediate' switches, because you haven't :) It was a possibility worth considering, though!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back