downstairs switch stops upstairs switch from working???

Why would it have mattered?
As you are aware, it wasn't me who raised the issue. However, now that you have questioned, and on reflection, the question of whether or not it was an intermediate switch was actually a red herring. As you imply, it wouldn't have mattered if it had been an intermediate switch, wired as per photos!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Except to cause confusion in the minds of some.

It would seem the "spark" that visited was very easily confused.

And a rip-off merchant to boot.

I can't believe the picture has posted USD! When I uploaded it, it was the right way up.... :evil:
It still is - are you standing on your head? :)

[and, BTW, what I was referring to in my last post was the switches in the photos, not secure's diagram]

Kind Regards, John

Really?

You're seeing my drawing the right way up?

Then why am I seeing it USD?

And no, I haven't emigrated, I am not standing on my bonce, my monitor is the right way up and (more's the pity) I have not imbibed any alcohol.

:confused:

Really? You're seeing my drawing the right way up?
Yep, it's always been the right way up on my screen - and still is!
Then why am I seeing it USD?
You tell me :) ....
And no, I haven't emigrated, I am not standing on my bonce, my monitor is the right way up and (more's the pity) I have not imbibed any alcohol. :confused:
That seems to rule out most of the possibilities I can think of!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
It would seem the "spark" that visited was very easily confused. ... And a rip-off merchant to boot.
Quite so. It's obviously not easy for us to sort this out from afar, but I would think that any of 'us', armed with a meter, would be able to get to the bottom of the problem in a few minutes at most (if we dared to touch/disturb that VIR cable!) if we were on-site.

Kind Regards, John

if we dared to touch/disturb that VIR
Maybe that's why sparkie galloped off, ...
I think you're being unnecessarily kind. We've been told that he moved a few connections around at the switches, so he wasn't frightened of disturbing the VIR (maybe didn't even realise it was dodgy) - I'm afraid that it seems (at least to me) far more likely that he simply "didn't have a clue".
...although I for one would not have accepted a penny.
Quite so - but it sounds as if he not only accepted payment, but requested it!

Kind Regards, John

These pictures are messin' wi' my brain...they're the right way up now... :confused:

These pictures are messin' wi' my brain...they're the right way up now... :confused:
That's because they've always been the right way up (as far as most of us were concerned) :)

I must say, it's rather intriguing - were you seeing the 'thumbnail' upside down, as well as when you clicked on it?

Kind Regards, John

Nope, my thumbnails are the right way up.

Unless I'm giving someone the thumbs down, that is.... ;)

so coming up from downstairs is the 2 cables. with the red into com and black then the other red into L1 the red into L2 comes from the wire going to the light itself

Hope that makes sense??

Yeah. Think so. ;)

Have you tried reconfiguring the wiring as I suggested?

Handle the wires gingerly, so as not to damage the insulation.

Mark them so you know where to put them back if it does not work.

Just to remind you,

If the black wire in the downstairs landing switch is the live feed, then it should go to the common. The two reds then go to 1 and 2 in that switch.

In the upstairs switch, the wire in terminal 2 and the wire in the common terminal should be swapped round.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back