DPC and brick slippage ... stupid question

Well, as with (almost) all physical objects, it obeys all 3 laws, it primarily depicts the conservation of momentum. Whilst it does demonstrate the other 2, it is a particularly poor demonstration of the 2nd
1 - at rest
2 - when balls from one end hit, the balls at the other end move the same distance as what the balls were released from
3 - the same number of balls move from the one end as the number of balls that were released

I may have mixed 2 and 3 up, it's been a while since I was laying DPCs

Sponsored Links
Friction and inertia. The ribs in dpc increase the friction significantly.
Next one for you to ponder- how do trains work when their only grip is provided by polished steel wheels sitting on polished steel rails?

Old steam trains have a tank of sand which drops sand onto the rail in front of the drive wheels from a tube. Gives them a bit of extra grip for slopes and when the tracks are icy.

Next one for you to ponder- how do trains work when their only grip is provided by polished steel wheels sitting on polished steel rails?

1. mg sin theta gives the force acting down the incline. 2. mg cos theta the normal force. Reconcile 1 with friction, and ensure 2 is greater. Ergo, no slippin down the hill.

Sponsored Links

They are locked the wheel protrudes either side of the rail.
Well call be crazy but the need for a water tight seal does not inviolate the need for horizontal locking even if the building is heavy, but I have not studied the types of failures that occur ... it seems that sometimes the do occur.
Not sure what they did in the "ol" days when people were less excited by plastic things?

Interestingly I have been reliably informed that buildings in the Netherlands do not use DPC just for this reason, all the heave experienced would cause them to slip off the foundations if there were a DPC; See all the wonky town houses in Amsterdam. Presumably same building requirement applies in earthquake zones.

We here in England have neither so.

Furthermore and quite possibly even more interestingly those houses without DPC in the Netherlands do not suffer from damp............

Perhaps you know or can find out what their solution to damp is?

I think just the plain old intellect to acknowledge it isn’t a real problem!

It didn’t start ruining people’s lives until about the 50’s when it magicked out of nowhere...

Yes just as above posters link!

Last edited:
Get some DPC and put it between two concrete blocks. See if you can pull it out?

I worked in Aussie a few years back. Over there, when they bother with dpc, it's waterproofer in 3 courses of joints. I also went on a field study to Amsterdam when I was at uni. (honest, it was a field study) The wonky houses are built on 5 to 8 metre deep timber piles. Basically tree trunks driven into the marshy ground about 400 years ago. It's no wonder they all sink.

It didn’t start ruining people’s lives until about the 50’s when it magicked out of nowhere...
Coincidently, the same time as various slum clearance schemes, the removal of poor (damp) housing and introduction of various public health laws. :rolleyes:

But, no that can't be connected as DPC was around way before that.

It can and does occur - most often on a sloping site. Here is one I saw last week as a surveyor in Northamptonshire. 1970s bungalow with a lot of minor movement - the bungalow is trying to head down the steeply sloping site. It is called 'oversailing' by surveyors. Pdf photo attached.

Attachments

• slippage.pdf
    364.8 KB · Views: 85
It can and does occur - most often on a sloping site. Here is one I saw last week as a surveyor in Northamptonshire. 1970s bungalow with a lot of minor movement - the bungalow is trying to head down the steeply sloping site. It is called 'oversailing' by surveyors. Pdf photo attached.
Why would it matter if the site is on a slope when the foundation and brick/blockwork should be level? Unless the foundation has sunk at one end and its tipping the house off...

Why would it matter if the site is on a slope when the foundation and brick/blockwork should be level? Unless the foundation has sunk at one end and its tipping the house off...
Because that is exacly what has happened - we had a very dry Spring and Summer, large trees adjacent have caused shrinkage and the footing has dropped slightly. The house has therefore tipped forward slightly and the masonry slid over the dpc where the bond is weakest.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back