DPC on Cavity Lintel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Putting a lintel in tomorrow. Creating a doorway from my hall into the attached garage. The lintel says "DPC Required" . The drawing from my architect doesnt specify one. Do I need a DPC and if so where does this go.. under the lintel ? Ta

Sponsored Links
The design refers to a cavity tray with weep vents, i.e over the lintel and tied above into the internal masonry.

Thanks Nose, forgive me for being thick but I didnt understand a word of that, can I just put the lintel in without worying about any of that?

Thanks Nose, forgive me for being thick but I didnt understand a word of that, can I just put the lintel in without worying about any of that?

You could but it would be at your own risk. A c.t. is there to deflect any water out of the cavity that happens to appear in the cavity either via penetrating the outer skin (rare) or via interstitial condensation.

Water in the cavity is meant to fall harmlessly down to ground but lintels can prevent or obstruct this and deflect the water internally. The c.t. is there to make sure it is deflected externally.

Sponsored Links
"hall into garage" :?:

Is there any masonry above the lintel location that is external?

okeykokey that very usefull information. If I dont install one will the BCO inspector kick off?? i.e. is it absolutly essential. FYI Its only a 1200mm lintel, and the cavity is insulated with those polystyrene balls ( which will all fall out when I open the cavity.....cant wait)

"hall into garage" :?:

Is there any masonry above the lintel location that is external?

The garage is attached and is single story flat roof so yes there is exposed masonary about 5 bricks up from the lintel

Your problem will be that any water which penetrates the outer skin of the cavity wall above the roof level will simply run down the inside of the wall and come out around your new lintel.

To combat this you install a tray in the cavity which acts like an umbrella over your new lintel. In reality it depends on how exposed and large the affected wall is because in some situations you can get away without it.

Oh and your polysterene beads should be slightly bonded together so if you don't agitate them too much they will probably stay put.

its internal yes, the garage roof is only a few brick higher mind, p.s the reason Im putting in the opening is because its a garage conversion im doing.

The BCO have accepted the drawings unconditionally and there is no mention whatsoever of a CT

I suppose I could retro fit a cavity tray if the BCO insists right?

It's not so much the BC angle so much as the fact you potentially could be replastering the door reveal once a year because of the moisture damage.

If there is not much exposed brickwork above the height of the garage roof it most likely won't ever be a problem but if its a decent area of wall and especially if it is on the more exposed side of your house you should probably think about doing it.

Its exactly the same issue that comes up With any extension when you make the outside wall inside the building. But in your case its on a small scale.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back