DPM On Hardcore

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi;

I am laying some hardcore in advance of concreting a garden workshop floor. Do I need to put anything on top of the hardcore before laying a DPM? It looks as though it may get punctured / torn on the hardcore edges?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Skavenger, good evening.

Suggest you consider a layer of sand between DPM and hardcore.

But? the sand can wash out if the edges are not closed of with a brick perimeter wall or similar. mixing cement will reduce leaching of the sand.

The most commonly used material is a so called "Lean mix Concrete" a "Weak Concrete mix" generally 50.mm thick, generally less than 7.5 Kn. Can you adjust the heights to accommodate the Lean mix?

Ken.

Skavenger, good evening.

Suggest you consider a layer of sand between DPM and hardcore.

But? the sand can wash out if the edges are not closed of with a brick perimeter wall or similar. mixing cement will reduce leaching of the sand.

The most commonly used material is a so called "Lean mix Concrete" a "Weak Concrete mix" generally 50.mm thick, generally less than 7.5 Kn. Can you adjust the heights to accommodate the Lean mix?

Ken.

I could 125mm hardcore, 50mm weak concrete and 75mm concrete?

What would be a weak mix 10:1 (Ballast / Cement)

But sand would be easier, the hardcore comes to the top of my wall footings so the sand would be encased by four walls. So I just even out the hardcore with sand?

Sharp sand or builders sand?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back