DPST? 2 switch / 3 circuits (2 independent, 1 shared)

Are both switches going to be in one location?

Are you ever likely to want dimmers?

Is it really necessary to have the middle rows always on when you turn on either switch? Wouldn't you sometimes want just the middle row on?

Had a very similar customer the other day, I then shook some sense into him.

Sponsored Links
You're right - both in the same position... Going for the Crabtree / MK / Varilight grid system, so something like:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MKK4896.html
MKK4891.JPG

to fit

MKK3634.JPG

along with light switches for the "normal" ceiling lights (one centred within each "box" of downlights).

Good question about dimmers... In two minds about them - increases the cost of compatible CFL lamps yet further?

I guess this was more of a creative / feasibility study - and the general consensus seems to be not to! I've obviously been watching too many "Grand Designs" et al... How do they get away with it? Bigger budget for a start, I guess!

Sponsored Links
I'll bow to public opinion...

...but out of interest, what would people actually suggest rather than just the two sparse and lonely dangling ceiling lights?!

Looking for something a little creative and classy yet achievable!

Thanks.

However, wanted to make a bit of a "wow" impact in the lounge / dining area with two adjacent "tray" ceilings
Do you mean a section which is lowered - appearing a bit like a floating slab?

If so, give cold cathode neon lighting a serious consideration. (The cold cathode variety come in at just under the 1kV limit for low voltage.)

here's an example of that in a domestic kitchen showing that it isn't only suitable for nightclubs and hotel foyers:

(Ignore the fact that there are also torches in there :confused: )

That's very similar to our original thoughts (particularly the bottom two lounge pictures)... Looks the business if you can pull it off.

Downlights (albeit smaller) in the lowered edges of the "ceiling tray", LED strip lights (or as you say, cold cathode tubes?) in the hidden recesses, and a conventional ceiling light in the middle. Perhaps a bit too "Miami" for the UK?!

But nothing ventured...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back