drafty air vent

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Its not really my area, but I was just wondering something out of curosity.

Visited a rental property recently, whilst chatting, the tenant had a bit of a moan.

After a recent gas check, there was a air vent that had its internal cover replaced from a sliding type (is it a hit and miss?) to a fixed type, about 8 or 9 inch square. Now the tenant is complaining of a draft coming in. He asked me if it would be ok to do this that or the other to it. I gave it a shrug and a 'pffft, you not talking to the right guy, sorry' Quietly walked away thinking it was quiet bad, i wonder if theres any compromise?

Sponsored Links
sliding type is not allowed as obviously tennant can shut it and it is "permanant" ventilation.You can get an elephants trunk for outside (vent that faces downwards) tos stop the draught blowing straight in but to be fair there will always be a draught

Hi mate,

If the tenant has a flueless gas fire which is 8kW or more, then the air vent is mandatory, and should not be covered or blocked up in anyway.

Hi mate,

If the tenant has a flueless gas fire which is 8kW or more, then the air vent is mandatory, and should not be covered or blocked up in anyway.

Sponsored Links
There are combustion vents available which have internal baffles or a membrane to allow continuous ventilation with reduced direct air-flow. Not quite draught-free, but as near as possible. An external hood will also help

There are combustion vents available which have internal baffles or a membrane to allow continuous ventilation with reduced direct air-flow. Not quite draught-free, but as near as possible. An external hood will also help

good point,the first time i saw one of those i thought someone had blocked the vent because i couldnt see daylight through it.Cut around the caulk took it off and ooops :oops:

Hi mate,

Flueless -- 100cm2 mandatory
Open flue appliance over 7kw -- mandatory 5cm2 per kw over 7
Decorative gas fire -- 100 cm2 mandatory, unless specified otherwise in Mi's

Hi guys,

Thanks for the info.

I had a word with the landlord about baffled and/or elephant trunk vents and left it at that. If I ever go back there, ill let you know if owt happened about it

Hi guys,

Thanks for the info.

I had a word with the landlord about baffled and/or elephant trunk vents and left it at that. If I ever go back there, ill let you know if owt happened about it

i will save you the bother of answering what happened, HE-HAW thats what will have happened, no landlord is going to change a cheap straight through vent for a baffle vent just cause the tenant was getting a draught, as long as the tanants have been advised not to block it then the landlord wont spend a penny fitting a better vent

lol, you may be right. Although, to be fair, this chap is one of the more conscientious landlords i've worked for.

Still, i'm not going to put any money on it ;)

thanks anyway :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back