Drain problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As my house continues to give up its problems here is the next one! I pulled up the drain covers while cleaning out the soil filled gulleys and found the kitchen sink waste pipe broken off at the lions mouth (see the pictures - I have cleaned the grid too now!)

http://img843.imageshack.us/img843/4470/20120909114358.jpg
http://img812.imageshack.us/img812/6546/20120909114342.jpg
http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/8394/20120909114320.jpg

When the kitchen tap was on, and presumably washing machine and dishwasher too, the flow out of this broken white pipe causes quite a lot of water to fall against the wall and that nice big hole into what looks like the foundation of the kitchen? I suspect this is what is causing the dampness in the kitchen?? As a first step as I didn't have more time I have lined the back of the drain against the wall with some roofing felt tucked right up behind the broken pipe to try and keep the water away from the hole.

So two things - should it be quite easy to replace the pipe coming through the wall? I hope it will just pull out from the kitchen side? Getting behind the units in the kitchen to do that might not be straightforward though. I think the black drainpipe should extend a lot lower too so it is nearer the grid?

What should I do about the drain outside and the hole that shows the concrete (?) inside? Can this hole be covered with a cement mix or something, or does it need more serious attention?

Sponsored Links
Guaranteed to provide nasties, that one......the white plastic pipe needs replacing with a longer length - it will withdraw through the wall but access could be a problem - but that must be attended to.
With the new pipe in place, fix a 90 degree elbow onto the end so the waste is directed into the gully without splashing.
Make good the surrounding hole in the wall by packing it out with pieces of brick etc and then making good with sand and cement.
Regarding the black downcomer, thats missing a shoe on the end, and again will cause water to splash up.
John :)

thanks Burnerman, kind of what I hoped for so shouldn't be too big a job as long as I can get behind that wall. Do you know what the back of the drain next to the wall might be made of - the bit that is broken? Looks like stone the way it looks layered where it is broken but very thin so maybe a steel sheet?

Any thoughts on the sand/cement mix? I guess quite heavy on the cement? What about those small bags of ready mixed sand/cement the diy sheds have?

Certainly if thats a bit of steel sheet its been put there by someone a while ago....maybe as an anti splash measure?
From here it looks like it could be a bit of delaminated brick or slate - its hard to tell.
The ready mixed bags of mortar will be fine in your case but do plug the hole in the wall with brick chippings or the like, mix the mortar until its stiff and force it in well.
For the inside, consider some spray foam in cans for ease.

Sponsored Links
cheers for that - is this something I need to do once everything has dried out (as I look out the office window it has just started raining :D) or might the dampness help the mortar?

Just bash on at your convenience mate - just get rid of any dust and loose debris and if the area is particularly dry (an unlikely event) a splash of water does no harm.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back