Drainage....can I do this?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

Keen newbie here taking on a garden project. I'm building a small retaining wall and a patio. Thinking about drainage I'm going to run slotted flexible pipe by the wall and now thinking about where to put the water.

There is a storm drain inspection chamber with lots of spare sockets very close and I was wondering if it is OK for me to connect into that? We live in a new build (2 year sold) and I have checked with the technical manager that they are surface water drains, which run into the brook nearby.

In another area in the garden there is also an underground pipe that feeds into the main surface water drain (described above) and here I'd like to insert a 'T' so that I can run a pipe from a wet area in the garden for drainage.

Any help would be appreciated.

Ed

Sponsored Links
If it's definitely a storm drain I dont see why you cant. Just ensure the connection to the chamber is sealed to prevent ingress of any gravel or soil etc that could block the pipework.

In terms of the design of the drain I was planning to use flexible perforated 80mm pipe to collect the water and to take it to the drain. I've found the surface water drain pipe (110mm) and am planning to insert a 'T' piece into it. Is it best to use flexible slip couplings with jubilee clips (shown below) or are the plastic slip couplings (shown below) sufficient?. Also, do I need a fliter beofre entering the drain pipe to stop particles getting in? I saw on one website that they do a land drain 'sock' that fits over the flexible 80mm pipe. Any recommendations would be a real help.

Many thanks Ed
upload_2021-6-15_9-29-12.png
upload_2021-6-15_9-31-13.png

Land drainage should not be connected to the sewer system, but should go to a soakaway.

Does this wall or patio actually need draining?

Sponsored Links
Hi @^woody^

There is actually two separate things going on here.

1) We have a new build on clay soil and there is a very wet area at the back of the garden. Last week I dug a hole there and within 30 mins it was full of water. I’d like to get rid of that water if I can.

2) the second part is the drainage for the wall and raised patio. I’ve been reading about walls and everyone seems to be talking about getting the drainage right. I’m planning for a rendered block walk so thought the best solution might be to use perforated pipe behind it and send it somewhere else.

I will post a sketch of what I’m planning. Do you think we can get away without drainage then?

For information the surface water pipes flow to a swale at the front of the property. I was under the impression that I could put land drainage water into that?

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back