Drained heating to fit new radiator and cant get heating on.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I drained my radiators to extend some pipes to a radiator and now I have no heating.
I have a Potterton Suprima 40 and a Boilermate II.
both circulation pumps are working and I have cold flowing water coming from all radiator vents downstairs but no air or water coming from upstairs radiator vents.
Can someone please help urgently as this has been going on for 3 days and my wife moans it is cold at night!!!

Sponsored Links
It sounds as if there is a serious air lock or a blocked feed pipe.

See FAQ.

If you put the pumps on setting "3" and run each on its own for 10-20 minutes then that might clear the problem.

Tony

I have tried running both pumps on 3 setting together and individually on several occasions over the last 3 days and still had no joy.
Heating valve flow inlet pipe is piping hot but outlet is only hot around pump but not lower down the pipe?
I have cracked all pipe conectors to all rads and water flows!
Where would the "blocked" feed pipe be located?
Thanks for your info by the way.

Sponsored Links
I undid the large silver screw on the heating pump but no water came out?
Should this be done running or stopped?

I just removed the heating circulation pump to make sure there was no fault or blockage and found all okay, no sludge and vein spins freely.
I did notice that there was no water in the inlet pipe? I find this strange as the pipe is hot!!!
Refitted and awaiting your advice/suggestions.
Lastly, my Potterton Suprima 50 is firing up for about 15 seconds then shutting off due to temperature, this as only happened since I moved the radiator and drained the system.

The reason the boiler fires, then shuts down is normally lack of water. As no water is present from the pump screw, it would appear that either the expansion tank is empty, or as quoted previously, the cold feed is blocked. The expansion tank is usually located in the loft, or at some high point. It measures about 15" x 12" x 18" and would have a ballcock installed to determine the water capacity. There should be a 22mm copper pipe going over the top ( expansion pipe ) and a feed from the lower part of the tank. Trace this pipe back to a point near the boiler or cylinder ( usually an air seperator or tee piece ) This is the usual place for the blockage to occur. It might be possible to lightly tap the connection to free the obstruction, but be warned, excessive force could damage the pipe / fitting. If this fails, then a drain down and pipework cutting will be the order of the day.

Thanks for the info Gasman but I have no tanks in the loft, the first posting states that I have a Boilermate II that does away with all that.
I would call a plumber but they don't seem to know enough about this American style system!!!
There must be enough water going through the boiler as I have sufficient amounts of hot water for showers and washing machines.

Oops !!!! Sorry Bodgit, old age has set in and forgot to re-read your first posting :(

I swear Gasman28, May the lord strike me down! We were sitting watching jonathan Ross and at 23.27 pm my wife said "this radiator is hot".
I checked and all but two of my 14 radiators has got HOT!!!
I will bleed the other two tomorrow when my son gets up.
Thanks to you all for your help and if you have any problems then do not fail to get in touch with me (as I am now an Expert!!!)
P.s Thanks for the Boilermate Link.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back