Drawer space under oven

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've always wondered if we could use the bottom of the oven as a drawer for baking tins oven dishes etc.

Took the oven out this evening and noticed that below the oven is a shelf so after taking out the screws we noticed there's space to put a draw.

Noticed the front is just screwed on but could we take the bits of wood at the side out which the shelf is sitting on and attach right angle brackets to support it instead? Leaving us to be able to get some runners and draw?

Noticed the shoddy plastering round the plug socket.

IMG_20220222_184846.jpg

IMG_20220222_184354.jpg

IMG-20220222-WA0009.jpg

With the side bits of wood out it currently looks like this

IMG_20220222_190252.jpg

Sponsored Links
Is there even a cabinet in there? Quite a few ovens just sit on a couple of long angle brackets, so providing your two end panels are something like 564mm apart you shokld be OK

Is there even a cabinet in there? Quite a few ovens just sit on a couple of long angle brackets, so providing your two end panels are something like 564mm apart you shokld be OK
The 2 end panels are about 564mm hoping I can get a shallow draw if not ill magnet the front piece, just seems like wasted space.

Does the shelf take most of the weight and is that why they've stood in on wood and screwed them to the cabinet sides?
IMG_20220223_010338.jpg

It's just the kick space, which you can find under all kitchen units. So if you were that desperate for storage, you could adapt the kick space under almost any kitchen unit for the purpose. The reason kitchens normally don't use that space for regular storage, is that it is not easy to use being so low and inaccessible.

Sponsored Links
looks too shallow for a drawer. the amount of work and cost doesn’t justify storage for one pan depth.

It's just the kick space, which you can find under all kitchen units. So if you were that desperate for storage, you could adapt the kick space under almost any kitchen unit for the purpose. The reason kitchens normally don't use that space for regular storage, is that it is not easy to use being so low and inaccessible.

The space is above the plinths. I know its low down but it would be ideal for baking trays dishes, we've not got a massive kitchen so would like to utilise the space.

You used to be able to buy tiny castor wheels (that didn't actually "castor") and make a shallow box.
The wheels would provide rolling action on the floor or a shelf.
The plinth panel could be used as a front

You used to be able to buy tiny castor wheels (that didn't actually "castor") and make a shallow box.
The wheels would provide rolling action on the floor or a shelf.
The plinth panel could be used as a front
We've got the front this is what it looks like before I took the oven out.

I just want to know if I can do away with the wooden bits holding the oven shelf and attach brackets to hold the shelf instead.

The oven has never been flush with the worktop and could do with being raised a few mm
IMG-20220222-WA0009.jpg
IMG_20220223_140510.jpg
IMG_20220223_140516.jpg
IMG_20220223_140526.jpg

Some old kitchens had draws under oven but not very usable as often contaminated from grease etc dripping from oven.

Some old kitchens had draws under oven but not very usable as often contaminated from grease etc dripping from oven.
Yes the top of the shelf has a little bit of grease on it.

It's just going to be used for baking trays etc

I just want to know if I can do away with the wooden bits holding the oven shelf and attach brackets to hold the shelf instead.
Yes, but the tyype of bracket you show is a repair bracket and nowhere near large enough or strong enough. These will just bend. amd in any case I think you'd struggle to get the back of the oven up onto the rear pair of brackets:

Small Repair Bracket.jpg

What you need is a pair of proper oven support brackets:

Oven Installation Brackets.jpg

These are quite expensive (£25/pr), and not easy to come by, possibly because oven manufacturers generally supply with new ovens. In fact at that sort of price I'd be tempted to source some steel or aluminium angle bracket (metal section of a DIY shop or or an ironmongers) and drill/countersink half a dozen holes in each myself.

An alternative, although you might need to check the width is this bent steel confection from IKEA (UTRUSTA):

IKEA UTRUSTA Galvanised Oven Bracket.png

Nice thing about this is that it acts as a sort of built-in drip tray to keep whatever is beneath a bit cleaner. It's also only £17. 564mm wide x 504mm deep according to the spec

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back