Drawing own plans for an extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I intend building a 2 storey extension on my house in local stone and, having seen the limited amount of detail that an architect (or technician) puts on their drawings I wonder whether its something I can do myself and save the expense.

I would appreciate advice from anyone who has done this themselves before or just has an opinion.

So far I have drawn plans that Planning are happy to accept, and made some accompanying notes that try to define everything I can think of that needs doing or specifying.

I suppose Building Control, who I haven't yet spoken to, will have their own requirements of the detail required in the plans/ notes. And they will certainly require the plans to specify materials and construction to meet their regulations. Are there any websites out there that give examples of wall construction that will meet current regs, or is it not as simple as that?

Thanks, in advance for any responses.

Sponsored Links
I did my own for planning and it has just been accepted.
Building regs drawings are a whole different ball game though.
You need to understand the regs and what you can & can't do.
I'm glad i got someone else to do mine as i just didn't have the time to mess about.
Good luck though if you go it alone....

Did mine for an extension a couple of years ago.

Only issues he had were that my foundation was 600 strip (as existing house), he wanted 900 strip or 600 trench fill - on clay. and he wanted rafters increasing to maintain 50mm air gap in insulated sloping roof - compromise was 1" packing on those rafters only.

Go for it, if you are doing something complex and you cannot get them to accept the plans you can employ someone at that stage and all you have lost is some time.

BC actually raised more issues and asked for changes as it went up than he had at approval stage,

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back