Drayton Wiser operating questions

Jonathan. That's pretty much what I'm seeing from my Wiser system. Using today as an example

05:30 , room temp = 18.5C ; target 21.0C ; boiler came on with 100% demand indicated
06:10 19.8C demand dropped to 61% and boiler started to cycle on/off as driven by Wiser with brief 5 or 10 minute burns as demand % reduces
07:10 20.7C demand hit 20% at which point boiler stopped cycling

the room temperture then remained between 20.7 & 20.9C with 20% demand but no boiler activity. I assume this meets the 21.0C target. The app only allow 0.5 granularity but Wiser internally uses 0.1C increments.

09:00 schedule dropped temp to 20C , demand now 0%
10:50 19.8C demand shown as 20% for 40 minutes, boiler ran for 5 minutes (10:50 to 10:55)
11:30 20.0C demand returns to 0%
12:10 19.9C, demand goes to 20% for 40 minutes or so. again boiler ran for around 5 minutes.

This has continued over the day with the boiler running for brief periods to maintain temp.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Jonathan. That's pretty much what I'm seeing from my Wiser system. Using today as an example

05:30 , room temp = 18.5C ; target 21.0C ; boiler came on with 100% demand indicated
06:10 19.8C demand dropped to 61% and boiler started to cycle on/off as driven by Wiser with brief 5 or 10 minute burns as demand % reduces
07:10 20.7C demand hit 20% at which point boiler stopped cycling

the room temperture then remained between 20.7 & 20.9C with 20% demand but no boiler activity. I assume this meets the 21.0C target. The app only allow 0.5 granularity but Wiser internally uses 0.1C increments.

09:00 schedule dropped temp to 20C , demand now 0%
10:50 19.8C demand shown as 20% for 40 minutes, boiler ran for 5 minutes (10:50 to 10:55)
11:30 20.0C demand returns to 0%
12:10 19.9%, demand goes to 20% for 40 minutes or so. again boiler ran for around 5 minutes.

This has continued over the day with the boiler running for brief periods to maintain temp.
How are you seeing demand? On Wiser or on your boiler?

It was more an observation that the room is decreasing at a faster rate than I would expect. If the room is unused, there is little point keeping it heated evenings/overnight.

Comfort mode would allow the system to target your desired temp for 9am. At the moment you are providing 1 hour of preheat which does look a bit optimistic and will only worsen going into the winter proper. That said, it's a balance between room temp, cost and perhaps happier Mrs. The advantage of comfort mode is that it takes some of the guess work out of how long it takes to get up to temperature.
Have switched Comfort and Eco on and adjusted schedules. Will see how it goes.
Happy Mrs is probably primary. Trying to ignore what the Smart Meter is telling me.
Sold her car last year and no commute, so swings and roundabouts I suppose. Also have £2K credit to burn !!!

@Mister Banks
Hope you don't mind this side discussion in your thread?
I thought it was all kind of related :)

Sponsored Links
It turns off at 18.5c on average
That seems correct to me. Wiser cuts the boiler below your desired temp. The pump should run for a further 5-10 minutes and the room temp continues to rise.

Last edited:
How are you seeing demand? On Wiser or on your boiler?
neither. I run a Raspberry Pi which collects data from the Hub directly.

That is one of the real advantages of Wiser, I believe Hive requires retrevial via the internet.

Last edited:
Have switched Comfort and Eco on and adjusted schedules. Will see how it goes.
Happy Mrs is probably primary. Trying to ignore what the Smart Meter is telling me.
Sold her car last year and no commute, so swings and roundabouts I suppose. Also have £2K credit to burn !!!

@Mister Banks
Hope you don't mind this side discussion in your thread?
I thought it was all kind of related :)
take care with eco mode as it may cut your heating before you wish. Note the caveat I included as you may need to review when to drop the scheduled temp. Also see that I'm using a two stage reduction overnight which I find works fairly well.

Then, after that, does it drop back down down to 17C, before coming on again?
There’s my problem! If my wife still feels chilly she looks at what Wiser is doing and if it hasn’t reached the set point and the boiler is off she turns the room thermostat up!

There’s my problem! If my wife still feels chilly she looks at what Wiser is doing and if it hasn’t reached the set point and the boiler is off she turns the room thermostat up!

So, you've not actually got that far yet!

That's a problem with TPI. There was a small study a few years ago, to see whether TPI saved money, but it actually ended up costing people more. I think they concluded it was because people didn't understand it.

It may be worth looking at this

Initially I was worried my boiler was running too frequently having moved to Wiser from a "dumb" thermostat.

There is much complexity behind TPI as a quick google search will show.

This evening the setpoint was at 19c and the room temperature was 19.5c, the next setpoint was 21c but the Wiser stat wouldn't call for heat until I turned it up to 21.5c

This evening the setpoint was at 19c and the room temperature was 19.5c, the next setpoint was 21c but the Wiser stat wouldn't call for heat until I turned it up to 21.5c
not sure I understand the problem. If the current setpoint is 19C with a room temp of 19.5C why would you expect the Wiser to call for heat. A variance to that may be if comfort mode is on and the system needs to increase the room temp to achieve your next setpoint by the desired time.

Maybe if you indicate the scheduled times & required temps that would give a better idea of what I might expect to happen. On my system today I had a 20C to 21C step scheduled for 5pm and comfort mode kicked in at 4:20.

1. Setpoint at 16:00 20c
2. Setpoint at 21:30 21c

The change from setpoint 1 to setpoint 2 didn't happen until I manually changed the temperature to 21.5c even though the indicated room temperature was 19.5c.

Here is the schedule

2DB6605B-93A7-482C-B34D-A4F85A4196DB.png

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back