Drayton Zone Valve Actuator ZA6 - Loud Banging Noise

Sounds like the gear quadrant has broken. Probably need a new actuator.
That's a real possibility.

Easy enough to check with the actuator removed.

I took the actuator apart and found three things that did not look quite right -
  • a small piece of grey plastic broken off the stop post
    a small piece of black plastic broken off the top of the post that holds the quadrant and delivers the movement to the valve spindle
    a couple of teeth missing from the cog that that delivers the movement to the quadrant.
I reckon the last one is the killer - the motor moves the quadrant until it gets to the part of the cog where the teeth are missing and the quadrant springs back to its start position.
Here's a photo. What do you think - new actuator?

CVB
View media item 90922

Sponsored Links
A new actuator is definitely required, but you don't need the ZA6. Get the ZA5, which doesn't have the unused white wire. Swap the wires one colour at a time.

A new actuator is definitely required, but you don't need the ZA6. Get the ZA5, which doesn't have the unused white wire. Swap the wires one colour at a time.

Thanks very much for your time and effort helping me sort out this problem.

I'll post when I've got it working again.

CVB

Sponsored Links

Thanks very much for your time and effort helping me sort out this problem.

I'll post when I've got it working again.

CVB

I went down to Screwfix and picked up a ZA5 valve actuator for £42,99. Fitted it in 10 minutes when I got home and all is well.

Thanks to all of the contributors to this thread.

CVB

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back