drill driver or impact

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys thinking of buying a new drill driver hitachi but also looking at a impact driver, but thinking drill driver more of a versitile machine what are your recommendations i am thinking of staying away from lion batteries ,are combi drills anygood?

Sponsored Links
Impact drivers are great for banging in screws however you will be limited on the drilling capacity even though it will drill veryy well with the appropriate bits (1/4") or 1/4" chuck adapter. You will have no hammer obviously, well not in that sense. You are probably best getting an all rounder like a Combi.

Go for a combi - but you get what you pay for.
I think ni-cads are a thing of the past. Hopeless if your drill sits unused for a while.
John :)

yep fully agree niclkle cadmium and lead are 3 good reasons why nicads are being phased out in the uk and other countries
as said above the need to be cycled ever few weeks to last for years
li-ion is definatly the way to go as you can charge when you like as the have no memmory effect so you can charge whilst you hav a cup off tea
a li-ion battery will reach 75% charge in 30 mins if flat

Sponsored Links
impact drivers are far better for screwing large dia and or long screws, coach bolts and similar but outside of that they are much less useful than a drill/driver.

There is a misunderstanding about nicads here. They get memory effect by being left in a charged state for a long time. The trick is to discharge them for storage not charge them. Secondly a well designed charger makes all the difference in the world. When I used dewalt my standard charger killed all my batteries in two years. My mates fast charger had kept all his batteries in good condition over the same two years, when I bougfht them off him with his charger they continued to give good service until all the tools had died, so now I been using Makita Li Ion instead but the dewalt batteries were 4 years old and just like new.

The makitas are better made tools, lighter batteries now a year on are still as original, I know because I bought a third new one recently and I can't tell which one is in the tool.

BUT they don't have as much backup torque for heavy jobs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back