Drilled into cable in wall. What do I do now?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know this is really stupid of me, but I am pretty sure I have drilled into a cable in the wall.

I was putting up shelves in a small bedroom two times that I drilled i got some white plastic on the drill bit. I didn't think anything else of it until I noticed the extractor fan in the kitchen below had stopped working.

What do I do now? The wall is newly plastered, and has fitted shelves on it. Bit I can't get to it from another side.

It's only now that I realise it is a false wall hiding pipes and cables. I suppose it could have been worse, but now I'm worried about leaving it in case there is a fire risk.

Sponsored Links
The big worry is one of the screws holding the shelf could now or latter become live. The Death of Emma Shaw case is a good example.

Some one will need to access cables to repair them if all circuits were labelled then in the mean time you could isolate but if not then a case of power off and remove all shelves in case they become live unless you can get some one out straight away.

Once repaired everything will need testing and although you may be able to repair to test is another thing and since you need an electrician to test may as well let him repair as well.

Thanks. I can't isolate the cable so will have to carefully remove the shelves. What a pain.

Will an electrician normally be able to cut into the plasterboard and get access, or is that a separate job? I think I could probably try that one myself if I need to.

Thanks. I can't isolate the cable so will have to carefully remove the shelves. What a pain.

Will an electrician normally be able to cut into the plasterboard and get access, or is that a separate job? I think I could probably try that one myself if I need to.

Err.... no... you must isolate first, if that requires de-energising the whole house then so be it. Yes an electrician can cut into the plasterboard but would only do so after isolation.

Sponsored Links
Plasterboard can have access holes cut, then patched afterwards and the plastering made good.

Take a look at this to see where it's allowed to have cables concealed in walls.

If yours aren't in the right place, do you know who put them there?

So far pretty much everything I have found in the house has been done as a poor quality DIY bodge, so I expect the cables are the same. It's hard to tell though without getting access.

I can isolate the whole house and then cut through the plasterboard and see what is there.

Do I really need an electrician to cut and rejoin the cables though. Surely one of those plastic things carefully covered in insulating tape would do it?

So far pretty much everything I have found in the house has been done as a poor quality DIY bodge, so I expect the cables are the same. It's hard to tell though without getting access.

I can isolate the whole house and then cut through the plasterboard and see what is there.

Do I really need an electrician to cut and rejoin the cables though. Surely one of those plastic things carefully covered in insulating tape would do it?

What plastic things?? You can of course cut into the board after isolation, but any rejoining of cables has to be made with a permanent connection, insulating tape is not your friend here. Unfortunately I don't know what testing consequently needs to be done so I'll let a grown up comment on that.

OK. Thanks. I'll call a local electrician.

Does anyone know roughly how much I am likely to have to pay to have a hole cut, and the cable repaired & tested? I'll clear everything around to make access simple.

OK. Thanks. I'll call a local electrician.

Does anyone know roughly how much I am likely to have to pay to have a hole cut, and the cable repaired & tested? I'll clear everything around to make access simple.

In London, minimum £50 an hour.

Unbelievable prices!

I called an electrician this morning, thanks to the advice above. He was here a full 2 hours and charged me £65 in total, as he had quoted for. Polite, professional and knowledgeable. And I'm in London.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back