Drilling into a brick wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,
I am totally new to DIY and keen to learn to do simple things myself.

I want to hang a TV in my conservatory onto an exposed brick wall.

I have a Ryobi ONE 18V drill which has two gears and 24 clutches. It also has a hammer setting. The TV bracket says to use a 10mm drill piece and I have recently brought a BOSCH set of masonry drill bits.

For drilling into brick..which gear would I need and which clutch speed is needed? Do I need to drill a smaller hole first?

Any help/advice would be much appreciated! Many thanks

Sponsored Links
An 18v combi drill with a masonry bit is adequate for small holes in ordinary red housebricks or lightweight concrete blocks, which is most domestic jobs such as shelves, curtain rails, coat hooks. If you want to do big holes for pipes, or drill into hard concrete, you will need a different sort of drill.

buy a block of brown 35mm plasplugs, which IMO are the most suitable for such jobs. In the central plastic plate that the plugs are attached to, you will find sample holes for suitable drills and screws, and description. Keep this plastic guide for ever.

When you drill into a plastered brick or block wall, disregard the thickness of the plaster which has no strength. Your plugs and your screws must penetrate at least an inch into the brick behind. Tap your plugs just below the surface of the plaster as thiswill reduce cracking and will be easier to fill and decorate over when no longer required.

Sponsored Links
in the middle, see?

plasplugs-sbp-503-solid-wall-super-grips-fixings-brown-100-sbp503cc.jpg

it also tells you the preferred drill size (7mm)

in crumbly bricks you may need a smaller size, or to pack the hole with builders adhesive such as no-more-nails before pressing the plug in.

Vacuum out the loose dust from the hole.

oops, sorry, I see you said 10mm hole and masonry screws... which do not need plugs.

As Harry says, 10mm is a bit big for your little drill in one go.

you will need plugs for your shelves and curtain rails, though.

They are quite good drills.
Deffo start small and make bigger as it's easy to go off line and using a series of bigger bits helps stay on target. Sort out your hole position so one hole isn't in a silly place.
Modern TVs are incredibly light so assuming it's new, you'll be fine

oops, sorry, I see you said 10mm hole and masonry screws... which do not need plugs.

As Harry says, 10mm is a bit big for your little drill in one go.

you will need plugs for your shelves and curtain rails, though.

Thank you very much everyone. I'll try a smaller hole and work up to 10mm.

JohnD - thank you for the suggestion, I need to put up some curtain rails next so these looks good.

Even the best hammer drills become less effective after a lot of work on hard masonry, the hammer mechanism wears. If you are planning a lot of such work, its probably best to look at SDS Plus drills and bits. They go through most materials, including concrete like butter, but use special SDS bits.

Thanks folks - gave it a go on Monday and managed to get it up with relative ease. Started with a smaller hole and then worked straight into to 10mm.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back