Drilling into problem walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all,

I've joined as I have some Qs about fixing a curtain pole and fixing a bathroom cabinet, specifically about the crumbly walls. What section should I post these in?

Oi fank you

Sponsored Links
The building we are in is a tenament from 1898 and the walls seem very crumbly.

Curtain Pole
The pole we bought is fixed over three brackets, each has 2 screws: 6 holes in total required. I drilled 23 holes trying to get 3 matching pairs. Problems I encounter are the plaster just crumbles away the screw falls out, or the drill bit hits something inside the wall (metal?) and won't go any further, meaning there are 2 holes of unequal length.
The previous owners had a bit off wood stuck to the wall and curtains on a track. We have removed the wood and bought a proper metal pole and new curtains.

Bathroom Cabinet
The cabinet we inherited was small, say the size of 2 shoeboxes, and very light as it is made of plastic. We have bought one from B&Q and it is a lot heavier being made of thick wood and glass. It doesn't come with any fixings and I don't know what to use. The wall it is going on has a very hollow sound when knocked. I'm concerned the the wall might not take the weight, but just don't know where to start.

Get stuck in :D [/b][/u]

Sponsored Links
The opposing wall (from where the cabinet will go) looks like horizontal bits of wood, with plaster pasted across it. (I know this as a painter stripped some hideous woodchip wallpaper and the plaster had come away so it was there to see)

I'm not sure if that is/was a style of construction, or if it has a name. It may be the other wall is like that.

poles, they seem to get everywhere...............

the wall you have is called lathe and plaster. You know what plaster is so guess what the thin bits of wood are called. (no really, they are) That was the way they built houses then, none of your plasterborad rubbish.

if you want to fix to a lath and plaster wall, find the timber studs by knocking on the wall, or by drilling a hole in it and poking a bit of wire sideways, then measuring. It will probably crack anyway, but if you screw to the studs they will probably hold your cupboard. If the cupboard is not the right width, screw a batten to two or more studs and fix the cupboard to the batten. You do radiators the same way.

If fixing to a crumbly brick wall, make a good long hole, then hoover out all the dust, then wash it clean with a plant sprayer squirted into the hole. When it is dry find a plastic plug that suits your screw size, then squirt "no more nails" or similar into the back of the hole and pump until it comes towards the surface . Poke the plasplug into it. When it is set, the next day, it will give a nice strong fixing to screw into. Use a screw length that penetrates well into the brick, not just the plaster.

verify that the hole is deep enough to take your screw, and wide enough to take your plug, before you stop drilling it.

If your drill has hit hard stone, you must use a good masonry bit and a hammer drill. If it is metal e.g. a lintel, change to an HSS twist drill.

Thanks Mods for the change of title:cool:

Thanks for that comprehensive reply, John.

Are the timber studs you refer to the horizontal strips of wood beneath the plaster? I guess until I start drilling in the wall where the cabinet is going, I won't know what is underneath it all. Do I need wall plugs with the screws? What instances are they used?

Regarding the curtain pole wall and hard stone. I don't know if it stone or a lintel. However I did try using a masonry bit and switching to hammer mode but I was at top of a ladder sideways and couldn't get great force. Would using a batten be a simple solution?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back