1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Drilling through chipboard

Discussion in 'Wood / Woodwork / Carpentry' started by stealthwolf, 10 May 2019.

1. stealthwolf

stealthwolf

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    With our old fitted wardrobe, I drilled a hole in the corner of the dresser to pass some wires for a TV (power, co-ax and ethernet). I used a spade bit and probably slightly too much pressure so the hole wasn't a clean cut all the way through.

This time around, we have a new fitted wardrobe with a high-gloss finish. I need to run a single power cable through for the extension sockets (non captive so I just remove the plug, feed the wire through and rewire the plug) without causing damage.

What's the best approach to get a clean cut?

2. foxhole

foxhole

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Notch7

Notch7

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    prob not possible on a wardrobe but clamping a bit of timber on the other side reduces blow out.

or do from both sides as foxhole says -you have to stop as soon as the point appears -too big and you cant start a clean hole on the second side.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  4. stealthwolf

stealthwolf

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    It was a bit difficult as it was the dresser and there was a shelf in the way so I couldn't drill from underneath. Even with a 90 degree angle drill extension.

Given the diameter I need this time around is much smaller (about 6-8mm), am I okay to just use a wood drill bit? I was going to use blue painters tape to ensure I get purchase on a slippery surface. I have a forstner drill bit set but the smallest size is 15mm. Ditto with spade bit - smallest is 12mm.

5. foxhole

foxhole

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Standard hss or timber bit will do, hold a bit of timber under, tight, to prevent breakout as Notch mentioned .