Drilling through chipboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
With our old fitted wardrobe, I drilled a hole in the corner of the dresser to pass some wires for a TV (power, co-ax and ethernet). I used a spade bit and probably slightly too much pressure so the hole wasn't a clean cut all the way through.

This time around, we have a new fitted wardrobe with a high-gloss finish. I need to run a single power cable through for the extension sockets (non captive so I just remove the plug, feed the wire through and rewire the plug) without causing damage.

What's the best approach to get a clean cut?

Sponsored Links
prob not possible on a wardrobe but clamping a bit of timber on the other side reduces blow out.

or do from both sides as foxhole says -you have to stop as soon as the point appears -too big and you cant start a clean hole on the second side.

Spade bits are used from both sides to get a clean hole, drill till tip just breaks surface then drill back from that side for cleaner hole.
It was a bit difficult as it was the dresser and there was a shelf in the way so I couldn't drill from underneath. Even with a 90 degree angle drill extension.

Given the diameter I need this time around is much smaller (about 6-8mm), am I okay to just use a wood drill bit? I was going to use blue painters tape to ensure I get purchase on a slippery surface. I have a forstner drill bit set but the smallest size is 15mm. Ditto with spade bit - smallest is 12mm.

Sponsored Links
Standard hss or timber bit will do, hold a bit of timber under, tight, to prevent breakout as Notch mentioned .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back