Drilling walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I work for a council mainly carrying out maintenance to tenants properties.

There are occasions when we need to drill through walls but need to find out exactly where the other side of the hole will be. Obviously a long drill will go through both walls in one go, but as said, there are times we need to be very exact and simply measuring inside/outside etc isn't good enough.

Is there a tool available (possibly sonar/electrical pulse) that can be set on one side of the wall and detected exactly on the other side? Obviously i'm meaning 10" cavity walls and bigger.

Sponsored Links
Nothing like that available afaik and if their is it will be hideously expensive.

Unless there is no windows or doors then its not a problem.
Tape and level does the job.

I don't doubt you're right re the tool i'm thinking of, shame really, it can't be that difficult to make a 2 piece tool that can omit/detect a signal through a wall(s)

Gents,

This technology is available. I needed a 6" core drilled in my 24" thick stone wall for a kitchen extractor. My plumber did it with a Hilti core drill. I held a small scanner (about size of a Sky remote) exaclty where I wanted the hole on the inside of the wall. He set up on the outside and drilled holes to mount the frame for the core drill then started drilling. The hole centre was exactly where Id placed the cross hairs of the scanner. All the kit was Hilti. Your maybe not drilling cores but might be worth speaking to Hilti about this.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Looks like a great product.
American prices put it around $800 dollars but I believe they jacked the price up.

Bosch will probably have one in a few years if not already at half the price.

Go onto hilti uk website it's called a px10 price is £410 plus vat a lot of the hilti stuff had come down in price

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back