Dripping boiler pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Just had the boiler serviced a couple of weeks back and I now seem to have a drip coming out of the pipe that comes out the top of the boiler into the attic and out of the roof.

The drip is coming from the white pipe in the attic where the brackets hold the joins together and not from through the roof. It seems to drip out of from where there are brackets holding the sections of pipe together. I've loosened the brackets and re-tighten them but I noticed there is another clear pipe within the white pipe which must just be the housing.

Will be getting the plumber back but he's away at the minute so just looking for advice as to what could be causing the drips? Could there be a blockage on the outlet on the roof?

Attached a pic to show where it's dripping.

It's a wocester bosch condensing boiler

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi Steve

The norm for this usually is the joints have been cut to short by a few millimeters u may need to get a gas safe registered engineer to check it out as this can cause a problem with the CO/CO2. :eek:

Hi Steve

The norm for this usually is the joints have been cut to short by a few millimeters u may need to get a gas safe registered engineer to check it out as this can cause a problem with the CO/CO2. :eek:

Ok thanks. It has been fine for 3 years. The dripping has only started in the last 2 weeks since it's been serviced

well as this sounds like a situation after a service, i can only presume. that when a test analysis was done using the flue test point, then at some point the flue was disturbed. and looking at that pic the lack of brackets, then to me an installation fault of the flue as mentioned. so be a aware that blaming the service engineer. might not be a good start.

Sponsored Links
i think the boiler being serviced is a red herring! I would bet serious money one or two flue seals have gone. On a condensing service I always check the air intake duct with my analyser with the casing on!

Your gases will be mixing and I think will be entering back into the boiler. This can potentially cause more serious damage to your gas valve/fan which is a tad more expensive than redecorating your ceiling.

The flue seals are very cheap. I would suggest your RGI takes the flue apart and check seals replace if necessary and also support brackets for the flue. this may stop the prob returning after fixing.

well as this sounds like a situation after a service, i can only presume. that when a test analysis was done using the flue test point, then at some point the flue was disturbed. and looking at that pic the lack of brackets, then to me an installation fault of the flue as mentioned. so be a aware that blaming the service engineer. might not be a good start.

Not blaming the engineer that did the service. It has just happened after the service and he may have disturbed the casing but as you say there seems to be a lack of brackets which would be the fault of the original installer who I will get back.

There is 1 bracket at the very top where the casing goes out of the roof.

Will get them to look at asap before we end up with a bigger problem

Thanks for the advice everyone :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back