Dripping Mira Shower head

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Loads of posts on the dripping shower heads on the forum but I thought I'd provide a photo to see if it would help me get to the source of the irritation.

I have a Mira Discovery - Concentric Mixer shower running off the combi boiler. It drips every few seconds..pretty much all of the time when the shower is not in operation. The issue has only start in the last 6 or 7 weeks. The shower is not that old but I am unable to give a precise date of installation as we actually moved in ourselves in January 2013.

Having searched on this forum a little I realise a replacement shower head or hose is not going to solve the problem.

The Mira website under fault diagnosis for water leaking from the showerhead suggests the following:

• Check that the pressures are not in excess of the specifications for product.
    Normal for a short period after shut off.
    Cartridge Inlet Seals damaged - renew.
    Renew the Thermostatic Cartridge.

I'm not sure how relevant this is but the noise from the cold water tap from the sink is like a whistle and the bathroom flush is like a Boeing 747.. It may be some sort of pressure issue but how to be sure??
I disconnected the the hose that feeds straight into a pipe in the tiles as picture below to get a start of what goes where and what may need replacing.

I'm not even sure what this connection is or if the problem lies behind or within the actual mixer itself?

Hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

Sponsored Links
No tiles to come off, cartridge comes out the front from behind the contol knob and covers. It is in the instructions which if you don't have you can download from Mira.

Sponsored Links
The front should come off to access the cartridge. Water will have to be turned off/drained down.

Andy

Thanks guys, good news..

Bad news Mira Discovery Cartridge.. RRP from £91.98..

SHeeeit!

Going to try the cheaper option first..

Does anyone know what these are??:

• Cartridge Inlet Seals damaged - renew.

If it's the Discovery Concentric exposed shower you have, looking at the exploded view, the seals will not stop dripping from the shower head, the seals are there to stop water from exiting the housing and would exhibit as water dripping from the housing itself I would think.

The inlet seals are the 2 thicker oval shaped seals in this picture :-
http://www.showerdoc.com/mira-seal-pack-identified-c-1595-047

You can try it and hey, you never know. If it's doesn't work then it is the cartridge itself I'm afraid..

If it's the Discovery Concentric exposed shower you have, looking at the exploded view, the seals will not stop dripping from the shower head, the seals are there to stop water from exiting the housing and would exhibit as water dripping from the housing itself I would think.

The inlet seals are the 2 thicker oval shaped seals in this picture :-
http://www.showerdoc.com/mira-seal-pack-identified-c-1595-047

You can try it and hey, you never know. If it's doesn't work then it is the cartridge itself I'm afraid..

Replaced the seals and yeah it didn't help one iota... Had to buy an O tool and everything. Trying to do it on the cheap just cost me an extra £20.

:(

Bite's tongue ;) hey we all live and learn :)

You may still be able to strip the cartridge down a little and give it a good clean out, filters etc or do the de-scale as Herts suggested. Are you in a hard water area? You may find though that it's just worn and only way to fix is replace unfortunately :(

Bite's tongue ;) hey we all live and learn :)

You may still be able to strip the cartridge down a little and give it a good clean out, filters etc or do the de-scale as Herts suggested. Are you in a hard water area? You may find though that it's just worn and only way to fix is replace unfortunately :(

Live Scotland.. Water real soft here is my understanding.. Filter clean I did not do... Not sure where to start with that suggestion.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back