Dripping through pipe with 'gap' in it in airing cupboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

Sorry, I have no knowledge but just hoping for a bit of expert input so I can understand what is going on and communicate to an engineer.

In our airing cupboard there is a vertical pipe with a plastic join which has a 'window' type gap in it (you can stick your finger all the way through) - which is now dripping - the water is going straight into the bottom part of the pipe so no mess but I'm wondering what is wrong and if this is a serious problem or just needs an adjustment.

The pipe comes down from the top of the airing cupboard ( we live in a flat) and the other pipe goes straight into the large white tank (Range Tribune HE).

Can anyone advise? I'd be very grateful.

K

Sponsored Links
I think it sounds like you have an 'unvented' (pressurised) hot water tank. The dripping you can see is likely to be coming from the Pressure Relief Valve (PRV), a safety device on the tank.

These tanks need to be treated with respect, you will need an Engineer with a 'G3' qualfication that shows he/she is trained to work on these types of tanks. It may be something simple but there is a reason its letting off water at the PRV, and it would be as well to get it checked out.

OP what name is written on your cylinder/tank.....it may just need the air pocket recharging if it is a megaflow type....instructions written on side....otherwise as has been said get engineer out

Sponsored Links
using my powers of observation I reckon its a RANGE TRIBUNE HE which has an expansion vessel (dont ask how I know)

too slow :oops:

Hi,

It's a Range Tribune HE.

Thanks for all the help, I have an engineer booked for tomorrow morning, in the meantime I have turned it off. It's still dripping though.

Thanks again,

Kat

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back