Drivers in Fog.....Grrrrrr

B

Big_Spark

Why is it that when there is thick fog you only ever encounter three types of driver...

• 1: The sensible person driving at a safe speed and distance from other vehicles.

2: The morons who think they have to drive up your arse so they can see you better.

3: Mr Indestructible who zooms along at 80+ in 30m visibility..

And oddly enough you only ever see the Police when Types 3 meet or when types 2 and 3 meet...they are usually accompanied then by the Paramedics and the Firemen cutting the morons out of their mangled wrecks..

Sorry for the winge..but on my 60 miles drive home tonight I only seemed to encounter types 2 and 3 as a rule..and types 2 are a bloody menace...

Sponsored Links
I was thinking about fog as well, what gripes me most though is when theres a tiny bit of fog - more like a light mist, and people insist on putting their fog lights on and dazzling everyone behind them for the next 6 weeks till they remember to turn them off. They dont half look at me funny when I drive behind them with my main beam on, they dont even figure out why !

Big_Spark said:
2: The morons who think they have to drive up your a**e so they can see you better.
Happened to me last night, I think they do it so you're doing the driving for them

masona said:
Happened to me last night, I think they do it so you're doing the driving for them

You could have a point there Masona, didn't think of that..

Eggplant...your so right..Nearly as annoying as the morons who put front fog lights on deliberatly cos their idiots who think there cool to be on...when it's the middle of summer!!

Sponsored Links
There's people that call front fog lights "driving lights" - they don't realise what they're doing. You think that the wavey lines on the fog light button would give them a clue. :rolleyes:

I don't know if it's true, but I was told by a Highways Agency Guy a couple of years back that one way they and the Police tell the difference betweem front fogs and driving lights is this..

Driving lights are mounted on or above the front bumper, whilst fog lights are mounted in or below the front bumper, but commonly in the valence under the bumper...

Like I say, it may not be true, but if you look at cars, there may be some truth in it...

I believe they are only classified as driving lights when operated independently of rear fog lights.

BoxBasher said:
I believe they are only classified as driving lights when operated independently of rear fog lights.

That can't be right Box, the majority of modern cars have seperate switches for front and rear fogs...

Big_Spark said:
BoxBasher said:

That can't be right Box, the majority of modern cars have seperate switches for front and rear fogs...
Sorry Big Spark got to dissagree there! My volvo 940 estate (2.3 SE turbo-in red!) has them both on the same switch and the front fogs ar built in to the headlights! :)

Yeah, my front fogs are in the headlamp cluster, too. Skoda Octy, BTW.

from memory, it depends on the lights, the "ribbed" type are fogs, plain are drivng.

hairyjon said:
Big_Spark said:
BoxBasher said:

Sorry Big Spark got to dissagree there! My volvo 940 estate (2.3 SE turbo-in red!) has them both on the same switch and the front fogs ar built in to the headlights! :)

Now your simply being picky..I did say majority[/] and not all.. :LOL:

I have a Volvo too...C70-T5 Coupe ..I have seperate switches for front and rear fogs, and another for the headlamps etc..So does the G/F's Toyota, the Van I used to have( :cry: ) and all my mates motors...(that I can remember having driving experience of anyway)

Ok Big Spark! You win! C70-T5! Nice! Can't argue with that! Makes my 940 old don't it who gives a s**t where thefog switches are! Skoda's have come on a long way since VW got involved though! :oops: :oops:

The regs in all their glory .. Another SI.
The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989

Renault Scenic has separate f/r (front / rear) switches for their fogs... This is sound, as one can kill the rears when being followed in adverse visibility (<100 metres or 328 feet vision I believe), but remain using the front fogs. The independent option is not available with single switch operation.. Hence rear fogs may be left switched on when being followed, if, in the driver's opinion, conditions warrant front fogs ...

The Renault front fogs are set low near road, flat wide beam aimed below horizontal, lights up the foreground with reduced reflections in the murk...
-

Sponsored Links
Back