Drivers, you need to sign this......

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If you drive a car/van/bike, please read -

Sarah Kennedy was talking about this proposed car tax scheme on Radio 2. Apparently there is only one month left to register your objection to the 'Pay As You Go' road tax.

The petition is on the 10 Downing St website but they didn't tell anybody about it. Therefore at the time of Sarah's comments only 250,000 people had signed it and 750,000 signatures are required for the government to at least take any notice.

Once you've given your details (you don't have to give your full address, just house number and postcode will do), they will send you an email with a link in it. Once you click on that link, you'll have signed the petition.

The government's proposal to introduce road pricing will mean you having to purchase a tracking device for your car and paying a monthly bill to use it. The tracking device will cost about £200 and in a recent study by the BBC, the lowest monthly bill was £28 for a rural florist and £194 for a delivery driver. A non working mother who used the car to take the kids to school paid £86 in one month.

On top of this massive increase in tax, you will be tracked. Somebody will know where you are at all times. They will also know how fast you have been going, so even if you accidentally creep over a speed limit in time you can probably expect a Notice of Intended Prosecution with your monthly bill.

If you are concerned about this Orwellian plan and want to stop the constant bashing of the car driver, please sign the petition on No 10's new website (link below) and pass this on to as many people as possible. Sign up if you value your freedom and democratic rights -

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/traveltax

And don't forget to acknowledge the government's return email when you get it or your objection will not be registered

Sponsored Links
Ionkontrol said:
Therefore at the time of Sarah's comments only 250,000 people had signed it

Softus said:
Your figures seem to be out of date - there are already more than 750,000 signatures on that petition.

:LOL:

look before you leap

Ionkontrol said:
If you drive a car/van/bike, please read -

Sarah Kennedy was talking about this proposed car tax scheme on Radio 2. Apparently there is only one month left to register your objection to the 'Pay As You Go' road tax.

The petition is on the 10 Downing St website but they didn't tell anybody about it. Therefore at the time of Sarah's comments only 250,000 people had signed it and 750,000 signatures are required for the government to at least take any notice.

Once you've given your details (you don't have to give your full address, just house number and postcode will do), they will send you an email with a link in it. Once you click on that link, you'll have signed the petition. By giving your postcode and number, you're giving your full adress! Anyone can find your house from this! Go to multimap and see! :rolleyes:

The government's proposal to introduce road pricing will mean you having to purchase a tracking device for your car and paying a monthly bill to use it. The tracking device will cost about £200 and in a recent study by the BBC, the lowest monthly bill was £28 for a rural florist and £194 for a delivery driver. A non working mother who used the car to take the kids to school paid £86 in one month. Why? were her kids born without legs?

On top of this massive increase in tax, you will be tracked. Somebody will know where you are at all times. Nobody will know where I am. A computer will, yes, but I would be a dot amongst millions on a screen. Stop being so f***ing paranoid. They will also know how fast you have been going, so even if you accidentally creep over a speed limit in time you can probably expect a Notice of Intended Prosecution with your monthly bill. Dont speed then. Simple as. The only people with anything to fear here are those idiots who do speed.

If you are concerned about this Orwellian plan and want to stop the constant bashing of the car driver, please sign the petition on No 10's new website (link below) and pass this on to as many people as possible. Sign up if you value your freedom and democratic rights -

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/traveltax

And don't forget to acknowledge the government's return email when you get it or your objection will not be registered

Some people are just so paranoid. My bank knows that today, I went to Argos at Cortonwood Barnsley and bought goods to the value of £6.99, Used a cash machine at a co-op in sheffield and drew out £40, Did some shopping at the same co-op in sheffield, to the value of £11.97, bought some petrol at morrisons doncaster to the value of £32, then returned home to check my statement and paid my credit card bill. THEY could trace my route on a map, and reveal much more besides. What is so different about the govt being able to?

I have no problem with speed monitoring and even tracking. If my car is stolen, it will probably be recovered. My car probably wouldnt be stolen in the first place, with a tracker fitted.

I wouldn't be tailgated by some moron in a 4x4 or have a heart-stopping moment when a white van decides to race past me at 80 against oncoming traffic :evil: Both happened today.

At the end of the day, the govt does what it wants. And no petition will make them change their mind. A public consultation, maybe. Think about it, they KNEW they'd get 750,000 sigs on that petition. They just wanted adresses so they know what areas not to ask when the public consultation happens! :)

Sponsored Links
Crafty said:
Some people are just so paranoid. My bank knows that today, I went to Argos at Cortonwood Barnsley and bought goods to the value of £6.99, Used a cash machine at a co-op in sheffield and drew out £40, Did some shopping at the same co-op in sheffield, to the value of £11.97, bought some petrol at morrisons doncaster to the value of £32, then returned home to check my statement and paid my credit card bill. THEY could trace my route on a map, and reveal much more besides. What is so different about the govt being able to?
happens! :)
I bet you also think 'You've got nothing to hide....' as well - the favoured accusation used by such people to those who object to having there privacy invaded is the old 'paranoid' one! ;)

The examples you give are of private companies and you CHOOSE to give them info...you would also have the choice to use cash!...And those private companies can't 'cross reference'. Giving the government and their spy agencies access to your movements WILL result in abuse of power..

I wouldn't be tailgated by some moron in a 4x4 or have a heart-stopping moment when a white van decides to race past me at 80 against oncoming traffic Both happened today.
Really...so what makes you think that the recently labelled 'motoring underclass' will be any more likely to fit a tracker than they are getting insurance etc, and will that make the roads safer?

At the end of the day, the govt does what it wants. And no petition will make them change their mind. A public consultation, maybe. Think about it, they KNEW they'd get 750,000 sigs on that petition. They just wanted adresses so they know what areas not to ask when the public consultation happens!
That's so funny...what was that about paranoia?... :LOL: :LOL:

Softus said:
Your figures seem to be out of date - there are already more than 750,000 signatures on that petition.

Not my figures, just passing on the email.

Crafty said:
Nobody will know where I am. .

I'm watching you, Crafty...

eyeflash.gif

Signatures: 839,397 ... Only a few more than this voted Labour last time.

:D

JohnD said:
Crafty said:
Nobody will know where I am. .

I'm watching you, Crafty...

eyeflash.gif

It was you in the next cubicle at southbound Oxford Services on the M40!! I recognise that cornea anywhere!!

I'm not sure whether crafty is having a laugh, is a complete fool or just naive ... Any suggestions :LOL:

In every society where ID cards have been introduced (for genuine reasons) they were ultimately abused by the incumbent government ... A startling statistic. This was in days gone by where recording was on paper ... Given the modern advances in technology, the possibilities for abuse of our privacy and unwarranted intrusion into every aspect of our lives are tremendous.
Don't be fooled by the old rhetoric "if you've done nothing wrong you've nothing to hide" ... EVERYONE will suffer at the hands of any legislation which erodes our rights to live our lives as we choose without any Governmental intervention.

My grandparents, who fought to protect this fundamental right would turn in their graves ... How easily we forget.

Amen

Ionkontrol said:
Not my figures, just passing on the email.
WTF? What "email"?

If that's your reasoning then I've just received a message that looks as though it was intended for you - it's offering an operation to enlarge your p**is.

esra_ptrap said:
I'm not sure whether crafty is having a laugh, is a complete fool or just naive ... Any suggestions
Yes - I think he's above it, and I have to say that I agree with him.

In every society where ID cards have been introduced (for genuine reasons) they were ultimately abused by the incumbent government ... A startling statistic.
Startling indeed - by its lack of meaning. I say bring on the ID cards.

EVERYONE will suffer at the hands of any legislation which erodes our rights to live our lives as we choose without any Governmental intervention.
Yawn.

Think of the benefits. Car crime and associated crime (drugs, prostitution etc) WIPED OUT and police assigned to other duties. Terrorism practically impossible. Benefit fraud reduced significantly. Wouldn't we all benefit from this? I appreciate the risk of this technology, but in my opinion, the benefits far outweigh the negatives. I am not naive, which I think could have been obvious when I was talking about my bank tracking my every move - this is sometimes used to track criminals too. Just as this new tracking technology could be used in the same way! Just a different organisation. Right now I pay £50 a year car tax, but if i have to pay more, bring it on, if it means theres less criminals on the streets and police assigned to other duties (bobbies on the beat! :eek: )

Of course a lot of the above is carrying the technology through to full implementation and driving bliss! But its a taste of what could be possible with this technology if the govt gets it right.

And as i've said before, the only people with anything to fear are those who are doing something wrong.

Crafty said:
And as i've said before, the only people with anything to fear are those who are doing something wrong.
Not quite - don't forget those people who wouldn't actually do anything wrong, but who would nonetheless like to preserve their right to do something wrong if the mood so took them. ;)

Softus said:
Crafty said:
Not quite - don't forget those people who wouldn't actually do anything wrong, but who would nonetheless like to preserve their right to do something wrong if the mood so took them. ;)
Quite true - just do it in someone else's car. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Back