Driveway Gates Frame Capping...?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

Completing a job of some driveway gates and about to put some capping on the frame.

I'm thinking of making up the following (see side elevation image)...

I've been thinking about it for a while and this is the best solution I can think of - I'd be interested to see if anyone has any alternatives please?

Or, can this kind of thing be bought anywhere?

Cheers,

Pete

Sponsored Links
how long is this capping?

is it low enough for people to touch?

Not really, the gates are 7 feet tall and then the frame is another foot tall so minimum of about 7.5 feet high to the lowest point of the capping I'd say...

Sponsored Links
no expert, but I think your fabricated capping will spring at the joints, let the rain in, and rot. Would you consider copper strip or similar, folded over and nailed?

I am thinking of weather protection in particular.

as above my thinking aswell.

could you not router out a solid piece of timber and sit it over the top rail of the gates?

Thanks for your replies.

In answer to.your questions, the client saw this on another smaller gate and has requested a replica so a routed solid piece on the gate or copper strip is not really an option.
The top piece will be 1 solid length routed and sat on the apex to cover the joint...

Will plenty of nails, glue and external paint not protect it?

Cheers,

Pete

I wonder if something like arris rail would last better? you could glue your ornamental trim on top

if it was me I might use a strip of teak, and smother it with linseed oil (the weather is going to be your problem, with rain and sun it is going to move and crack long before it rots)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back