Drop Seal on a Wonky Floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm trying to reduced the draught under an internal door.

When closed, the door has a floor to bottom of the door gap of 5mm by the hinge and 35mm at the other end. Fully open, 5mm at the hinge, 15 at the other. I could, in theory, add a triangular fillet and reduce the closed gap to 25mm.

Do asymmetric drop seals exits that would fill a 25mm triangular gap?

Sponsored Links
Drop seals confirm to the floor to an extent, that's their purpose, but they can't handle hollow or crowned floors unless the carve bits out of the seal, and the range of out of level they can handle probably isn't 20mm. It doesn't matter how much gap there is when the door is open (because the seal retracts about 15 to 25mm) - it's the gap when the door is closed which matters.

The best way to deal with this is to level the floor beneath the drop seals (which is what had to be done on some doors one hospital job we did), but assuming that isn't feasible I'd have the door off, shorten it a bit, then plant on a tapered solid wood piece, not a wedge which tapers to nothing as they are problematic to fix. A drop seal can then be fixed on the outside of the door

Searching around, The best drop seal I can find is 14mm, so still 10mm short. I could maybe tweak the threshold strip by 5mm, but that still leaves me 5mm out. Might have to put this into my "do that later" pile and tackle more practical things.

Are you aware that on fire doors you are only aiming to get to within 4mm of the floor (as required by fire regs)?

If the floor really is that bad then surely it's the floor which needs the attention, isn't it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
All internal doors have gaps at the bottom.

You'll probably need one of those long sausage dog things.

Kinda awkward for a door that opens out onto a staircase. Fiddling and footling and a bit of bodging will probably be in order. :sneaky:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back