Dry verge fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Not long moved into a new home--not a new property, but a bungalow about 40 years old. The rear gable has been finished off by the previous owners with a PVC continuous dry verge, but the gable at the front is still finished in the original mortar, which is discoloured and loose. Rather than hack out and remortar, I intend to fit verge caps at the front to match other properties in the street. The roof tiles are flat and not curved, so I presume I would need to order verge caps for a flat profile, unless of course its possible to buy a universal verge cap. Any particular product/ online supplier I should be looking at, and anything to consider before buying and fitting, other than the basics such as roof safety and proper fixing?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
If you're doing individual dry verges you'll need the specific ones for your tiles. To fit them you'll probably need to extend the tile battens (depending on what's there at present), which means stripping out a bigger area. You might need wider/more tiles too. Have a good look/measure at what's there, along with your options of individual/continuous dry verge, as fitting a continuous one might save a lot of work. It really comes down to how much overhang each needs compared to how much you currently have.

photos would help.

My roofer declined to fit a dry verge, as he says on the cavity wall, there was nothing substantial to fix it to.

I am no roofer so can't say.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, both. Best option might be to have a word with my neighbour, whose roof looks pretty well identical to mine, and to ask whether he had any issues when his verge caps were fitted.

A continuous verge would match the back, but as not possible to view both gables at the same time I don't think that really matters.

I'll take some photos and post them later.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back