Dual RCD Consumer Units

Yes John D. Thats the kind of setup I have seen. However as Securespark and yourself have pointed out , am I wrongly informed that descrimination is not an issue ?

Cheeers guys. Wanna clear this one in my head !!

Sponsored Links
JohnD said:
There are also double-decker CUs where you (can) have an RCD on each rail, fed from a common main switch, the idea being that a trip on one rail will not bring down the other.

However, RCDs being what they are, I suspect that there could be odd leakage current that sometimes would, unless one of them was delayed.

For example:
33_1.JPG

If your needs are more modest you can also do it on a single rail
cb_1.JPG

John: Am I having a thick moment? Please correct me if I am!!

Isn't that set-up effectively the same as a split-load set up but without the S type RCD?

What's to stop the 100mA tripping when a fault occurs on the 30mA side?

The double-decker one isn't like a split, because a fault to earth on the top rail (should) trip the top-rail RCD but not the bottom one, and vice-versa.

If you had a TT Split Load with a 100ma S-type as main switch, a fault on, say, the lights would trip the delayed one; and, as it was effectively the main switch, you would lose all sockets as well, on the 30mA RCD circuits.

Now I look again at the single-rail CU in the lower picture, I see it has been assembled with no RCDs; I can't see the point of that config.

(p.s. I can put up a pic of the innards of a double decker tomorrow, if you like. but the way it works, the top deck looks like an ordinary CU, it has been assembled with the RCD to protect all top-deck circuits.

The main switch also has P and N busbars running down to the top of the RCD in the lower deck, which again looks like an ordinary RCD protected CU.

The top-deck RCD protects only the top-deck circuits; and the bottom-deck RCD protects only the bottom deck circuits.

You could swap either RCD for a 100A DP switch if you wanted; or remove it and have an extra two MCBs or RCBOs instead. you could also take out the top Main Switch and replace it with a S-type RCD.)

So this basically takes the RCD's out of series. Hence no descrimination. (or not ??? ) :confused:

Sponsored Links
That's right, they aren't in series.

However leakage currents often travel up and down unexpected paths, so you still might find they both tripped together, unless the lighting circuits were delayed.

(sometimes a fault in one house will trip the RCD next door! Currents probably passing up water-pipes through main bonds.)

Happy now. Looks like there has only ever been one way to doi it right. Sticking with the Type S set up.

Thanks everyone.

Marcus

I have experienced several times now energising of a circuit on the NON-rcd side of a regular split board causing the RCD to trip out.

Very unusual though this is, it could also happen in your arrangement, John!

Don't know a way round it, though...

Steady on, fella!!

I'm sure I can rearrange these letters into a recognisable order....

C O R B

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back