Dual RCD Consumer Units

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Heard a mention of these but can seem to find a supplier. Anyone use these ?
Recommend a good make ?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
marcusone said:
Heard a mention of these but can seem to find a supplier. Anyone use these ?
Recommend a good make ?

Cheers

Why not have two consumer units fed from a common main isolator. This is the arrangement we installed when we built the house in 1981.

Bernard

There are some MEM ones. Why do you want two RCDs?

Sponsored Links
For TT systems. Just curious if they work out any cheaper as they don't need a time delayed RCD.

crabtree do some busbars for thier starbreaker range designed for arrangements with an incomer feeding two RCDs.

Thanks plugwash. I like Crabtree, could be the solution. I'll look into it.

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

The one in my house is a Wylex Skeleton Unit, with two rcd's in it, fed off a common main switch, the ideal solution, as you save the cost of a Type S RCD, and the main switch can isolate the unit when you need to work on it.

Am I missing something here?

Of course TT systems need an S type RCD.

Any wholesaler worth his salt will sell you one.

securespark said:
Of course TT systems need an S type RCD.
they need everything to be RCD protected, one way of achiving this is to have a type S rcd as the incomer with a normal 30ma RCD as split but this is not the only way.

Ricicle - :LOL: - oops! :oops:

Plug - the only way I know to satisfy regulations on a TT supply is to fit a split load board where the incomer is replaced with an S type 100mA (min) RCD to give discrimination against the 30mA G type RCD on the split side.

This ensures that a fault on the 30mA side does not take out the whole supply.

As I understand it. You can have a main incomer switch and then two cu's.
First one with 30mA RCD for all socket outlets and shower. Second Cu with 100mA RCD to cover all other circuits. No need for Type S as there is no discrimination necessary. A Dual RCD CU combines all these into on unit including the main switch. I may be mis - informed and await the wisdom of the foum :)

There are also double-decker CUs where you (can) have an RCD on each rail, fed from a common main switch, the idea being that a trip on one rail will not bring down the other.

However, RCDs being what they are, I suspect that there could be odd leakage current that sometimes would, unless one of them was delayed.

For example:
33_1.JPG

If your needs are more modest you can also do it on a single rail
cb_1.JPG

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back