Ducting question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm planning to bury some 50mm ducting under my drive to carry SWA (two circuits) and x3 external CAT6 cables. The run is only about 6 meters under a gravel driveway. Each end will terminate at a brick wall (my garage and garden wall). While unlikely I'll need to use it again, I'll include a drawstring for future use.

I'd like to trim the ducting right at the surface of the gravel to avoid any ugly protrusions up either wall (and cover with gravel). To avoid water ingress, dirt and damage, i'd be grateful for any advice on the best way of sealing the ducting, allowing the cables to exit and potential access in future? I was thinking polyurethane but wondering if this is a bodge and 'Filoseal' looks out of my budget.

Many thanks!

Sponsored Links
Just stuff a black bag in there. With a duct sitting vertical, no matter how hard you try, the duct WILL fill with water. You could consider a small manhole each end, the lid gravelled over, but it’s a little OTT.

If you do a manhole, just get a couple risers with no base. Pea gravel the base for drainage. Bring duct in horizontally.

When they did telecom work at an old workplace, they laid trunking with a small upstand.
This allowed horizontal exit/entry.
They used a pre made 6” square paving slab as a lid and simple brickwork to make a tiny pillar.
The slab just sat on top of the brickwork as a lid.

Sponsored Links
Thanks all for the advice, some very helpful ideas here - I will try to go with a horizontal approach in that case and some kind of small inspection pit. Much appreciated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back