Duel Fuel Cooker from "Comet"

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello
Today i took delivery of a Duel Fuel Cooker from "Comet".I paid for installation and looked foreward to a new Richmond df550 cooker to be installed.To cut a long stoey short,the engineer who is also the delivery person with "Comet" would not install the appliance because i had only a 32 amp fuse in the main fuse boxes and he said it needed a 40 amp.After paying around £80 to Comet, for this installation,and they not giving any instructions prior to delivery about requirements i believe i have been cheated by "Comet".The engineer left with a cooker stuck in the middle of my kitchen unpacked.I enquired to a well know Electrics firm in my local area as to what is required to change a 32 amp fuse to a 40 amp and was totally surprised that the cost would be over £200 to chase wires from main fuse box to kitchen for the cooker.Ihave been cooking with a gas cooker for over 10 years and have all the sockets plugs ect which are correct but the main fuse box needs a 40 amp fuse.Comet never mentioned any of this at the time of sale nor did anyone give me any literature when going to look at the cooker before i bought it.
How many people in the UK do not know this information.If this safety aspect has been changed recently then it has not been published to anyoneother than Gas safety Engineeres-
P.S
tHERE ARE NO LONGER CORGI Engineers-They are Gas Safety Engineers
Every one i know stil refers to them as Corgi,but apparently this changed in 2009.If we do not know that change,what chance of knowing about fuses unless someone tells us-This someone took £800 for my cooker and £80 for the installation and never mentioned a thing -Comet,you are having the cooker back and i will expect a total refund of all my money and more for my time ,stress and financial losses.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
With a range cooker the power requirement can be quite high. However with a standard stand alone electric cooker with induction hob (Belling) it needs a 32A supply so with duel fuel one would expect the requirements to be less than 32A.

According to advert here it requires

Electrical Connection 4.965 KW
Energy Consumption (Main Oven) 0.79 Kwh
Energy Consumption (Second Oven) 0.7 Kwh

Which does not seem to add up! But that's 21.58695652 amp total so it would seem it does not require a 32A supply never mind a 40A supply.

For a main oven to take so little power does not seem to make sense. My main oven has three elements bottom, top, and back (fan) and if I subtract the hob size from total gives between 16 and 25 amp for oven. The total is rated at 10466 - 12455 W which is 45A to 54A but the manufacture still says it only required a 32A supply.

I did for a week work for a firm fitting cookers and quit because they would not issue me with the testers required or the time required to do the tests before fitting. The guy who they put me with for first week was a gas fitter and he would keep to gas rules to the letter if a cupboard was 1" too close he would not fit it but did not it seemed have a clue about the electric side.

From your post it seems nothing has changed?

Stoves are useless with regard to MI. Electric supply requirement probably labeled on the back but I don't blame the installer for covering their own arse.

You say it is a dual fuel cooker. I have one, it only has a single oven, so the electrical requirement is only 12Amps and it runs off a plug. If you have two electric ovens (and a gas hob) or a separate grill and small oven, the load might be in the region of 20A.

40A is far more typical of an electric cooker with electric hob as well as electric oven(s). Even then many of them only need 32A.

edit:
you have one of these http://www.johnlewis.com/230538598/Product.aspx

I see it has two ovens, but even John Lewis doesn't know the electrical loading. As it has a gas hob I do not for one second believe that it needs 40A. However it will not run off a socket.

Your 32A circuit might be for a socket ring, as you do not mention a dedicated electric cooker circuit - please tell us if you have. If you have not got a dedicated electric cooker circuit, then you will need one for this cooker. You might consider another all-gas cooker, or a single-oven dual-fuel like mine.

p.s. ericmark, those curiously low figures will be average load during cooking time, when the elements cycle on and off once the oven is up to temp. Your 20A-ish figure is about what I would expect as peak load, as this cooker has a main and a small oven.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back