Dulux Trade Diamond Matt (Custom Colour Mix) I may have made a mistake purchasing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I have double coated my bedroom walls with a beautiful "Dusted Moss (Colour)" Dulux Matt paint from my local Homebase which was on offer. It was the standard matt finish (no durability element to it)

The walls are technically finished now and look amazing, though, I had second thoughts and wanted to make my finish durable but achieve the same MATT look.

I proposed the question to my local Dulux centre who then recommended to purchase one 5l tin of their Trade diamond range and just roll over one coat which should be efficient.

Everyone, I need your opinions please, I have purchased the diamond matt in the same colour paint though, I am sceptical as I have seen many negative reviews on this diamond matt finish i.e. the paint is too thick, gloopy, hard to work with etc and changing the colours for the walls in the future would be a nightmare.

I just want your opinion on what you think is the best option? what would you do? is there a certain way to prepare the paint? and if so then how? I have also come across Ronseal's stain guard that you can apply matt coated walls?

your opinions are greatly appreciative.

thank you in advance.

Sponsored Links
IMHO it depends on why you want durability - do you want to scrub the walls ? I'm Old School and consider normal vinyl matt emulsion to be adequate and think a lot of these "extra" paints are a gimmick. Consider just buying a tin of your original colour to re paint if there is too much soiling to wipe off.

Matt paint does hold the dirt more than a silk or gloss finish.

What do you mean by no durability?

Does it rub off where people brush past it, as might happen on the walls of a staircase? Or do you mean it shows dirt from handprints, or where something has been hung on the wall, and is difficult to clean?

A bedroom should not be very dirty, nor need cleaning as often as, say, kitchen walls.

Sponsored Links
I'd have no issues going Diamond matt over matt, I hardly notice on my stud walls. It does apply rather dark but dries out fine. In the high traffic areas you won't regret it.

However I would have an issue buying a 5L quid tin for one bedroom at 70 odd quid ! :)

The diamond matt can be watered down and do far more than the consumer grade stuff.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back