Dum or Dimmer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please assist!

I am trying to connect a 2 gang (2 independent lights) dimmer in my kitchen.

The dimmer has 2 connector blocks- both with L1, L2, C.

I have 3 sets of wires as follows:

Wire A) Red, Black + Earth (From 1st Ceiling Light)
Wire B) Blue, Brown (From 2nd Ceiling Light)
Wire C) Red , Black + Earth (From Consumer Unit- I think? comes up from floor)

Please solve the conundrum- what goes where?

Thank you

Sponsored Links
2 questions first, Why is there no earth on the cable feeding the second light?....how far is the run to it and is it Double insulated (symbol is 2 squares one inside the other. Secondly, why do you just "think" the bottom cable is your feed ?....You have to be 100% sure. You cant just assume.

2nd light- no idea? possibly wrong kind of flex! it seems to have been set up as a spur. It runs about 3m. Dbl insulated? don't think so? where would I find the symbol?

Bottom cable- think this is feed because it is coming from direction of consumer unit in hall.

Further information: all this was already connected up to a 3 switch unit (3 switches because there was also a light from kitchen cupbard running into it as well as the 2 ceiling wires and the other feed)

hope this helps

PS- the 2 ceiling cables are connected to spots i.e.

Wire A - to 6 spots and Wire B - to 2 spots

Sponsored Links
2c lamp cord (from the 2 spots) - yes probably- thats not a worry as I plan to replace that and shouldent be a problem (what should I replace it with?). However, once ive done that- ? How should I wire it all up to the dbl dimmer unit?

It might not be lamp cord, it might be T&E with the earth cut back. (but then again it might not)

If it needs replacing then you should use
CA1GH.JPG

How was the original switch connected?

Did the blues and blacks go into a connector together, or were they conected into the switch?

RF Lighting said:
Can we have a photo please?

I'll replace with that kind of cable. Where do I go from there.

Sorry but theres nothing to take a pic of apart from bare wires and I can't remember how it was connected before (I know a mistake)

any advice welcome

stevenmc2 said:
Sorry but theres nothing to take a pic of apart from bare wires

Please take a picture of these anyway.
You'd be suprised howmuch you can tell from a 'few bare wires'
A photo of the back of the old and new switches too please.

Were either of the lights on a two way (two switches (usually at different ends of the room) which control the same light)

Were there any short links of wire connected to the back of the old switch?

All lights (2 ceiling & 1 cupboard) were on a one way unit.

Yes there was a short link of wire connected between 2 of the 3 common holes in old unit.

The wires are just as described as in my 1st post. However, I will replace the Blue/Brown flex (from 1 ceiling light) with proper cable as advised.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back