Dumbies Guide anyone?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Firstly I'll start by telling everyone that I'm a complete noob when it comes to home improvements when it comes to wires.....

I went into B & Q and picked up an upgraded light (3 spot light) and dimmer switch and thought it would be an easy case of swapping wires over but when I got home and removed the current single light and standard switch on the wall, I was looking quite confused :(

Some of the wires have been painted white, so unsure of the colour however there are 2-3 red wires, one brown and the ones that are painted white are connected into the same connector.

Standard light has a total of 8 connectors with 4 of each side however the new upgraded light only has total of 4 connectors,

Any help would be greatful if you are able to break this a diagram down to help understand it better, thanks

Paul

Sponsored Links
Make VERY careful notes of where each wire is currently connected to, and take a few photographs of the fitting and switch before you disconnect anything.

Posting the photos might help.

Switches typically only have 2 or 3 wires at them plus an earth.

The light fitting probably contains the loop (power from the previous light, and power going onwards to the next light), the switch cable, and the wire to the pendant. There is typically 3 connector blocks, one with two terminals, and two with three terminals.

The connections in there need to be kept in the right order, or you'll end up breaking the whole lighting circuit.

Here's your starting point!!
But seriously. Have a look at the WIKI. There is a whole section on lighting circuits, and yours sounds like a standard setup.

Come back if you cant find what you are looking for.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back