Dusk to dawn lantern

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Dusk to Dawn lantern identical to the one in the following link

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.j...refview=search&ts=1259585740789&isSearch=true

The problem I have is when it gets to twilight and the lantern is suposed to switch on, the bulb lights up for a second and then goes out. If I wait until it`s a bit darker and shine a torch on the sensor I can hear a click, I assume this is the sensor turning the switch off, if I then move the torchlight away from the sensor the lantern then stays on and operates as normal until the following evening, whe i have to go through the whole process again. Is the sensor faulty? any ideas would be very helpfull.

Sponsored Links
I have exactly the same fitting from B&Q! And guess what? Exactly the same fault! I'm binning it and fitting an LED fitting on an independant photocell (light sensor). What you look in the fitting, the circuit board combines the sensor and the lamp starting circuitry. Therefore a repair would be pointless, as you'd need to change the main part of the fitting - PCBs are rarely repairable.

It looks like these lanterns are faulty, I was going to get another one from B&Q, but they are out of stock at every B&Q store in the area, I wonder if they have dis-continued the product due to the fault?

If you've got one and Steve's got one and they are both faulty then there's a good chance the next one will also be cr@p.

Just get your maney back and buy something else. There's loads of choice.

Sponsored Links
To be fair, mine isnt exactly the same, mine is a semi-circle one, flush to the wall. Same style though, and the same wattage and dusk to dawn, so probably the same gubbins.

I see it's an IQ brand. I've had to replace numerous different fittings of this brand over the past year - fittings similar to the above, PIR floodlights and standalone PIRs. Popular at B&Q and Screwfix amongst others but not very popular with me. Absolute junk.

I see it's an IQ brand.
But isnt this all B&Q sell? Its all "made in China for B&Q on the back" :rolleyes:

Not at all - B&Q do sell various makes some of which seem OK. However this one is an IQ one (see picture from OP).

And just to add a bit of ammo to my point if any were needed I had to visit a customer today to find that their IQ standalone PIR had failed 3 weeks after installation. Not that I can't get it replaced of course but this will be 2 visits and a couple of hours work again. B****y IQ!

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/62173...ts/PIRs-Photocells/180-Curtain-Standalone-PIR

If the OP is still about, I took mine down today. If tis the same as mine, a 4-pin 13 watt PL lamp, try this. Rotate the bulb 180 degrees and re-insert. It might now fire up, but one end of the tube will be badly blackened. I did this today. It worked for a bit but then started flickering. I think the cheap ballast on the fitting drives the lamp too hard (or went faulty). The lamps supplied are Phillips, a good brand, should last longer.

Photo0080.jpg

Photo0078.jpg

The blackened end was at the back, until I turned the lamp around (you might need a screwdriver to prise the lamp out gently while you hold it, or else you end up pulling it and it releases suddenly . . . )

I see it's an IQ brand. I've had to replace numerous different fittings of this brand over the past year - fittings similar to the above, PIR floodlights and standalone PIRs. Popular at B&Q and Screwfix amongst others but not very popular with me. Absolute junk.
Curious - I've got one of these:

OK - photocell, not PIR, but still IQ, and still going strong after a couple of years.

How long's it got left?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back