Basic question re. Triple Sockets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I only know the basics about electrics but am gradually learning what with alot of reading on here and a book I have at home.

I am soon to be decorating the living/dining room and want to replace several of the double wall sockets with triple sockets. I have found the triple socket and metal back box,

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.j...refview=search&ts=1294069540130&isSearch=true

and

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.j...refview=search&ts=1294073014944&isSearch=true

but have a question........

I have also found this:

http://www.diytools.co.uk/diy/Main/sp-42-11587-88911-double-to-triple-socket-converter.asp

... but what does this 'converter' have that the other one doesnt?

From my understanding I just need to simply widen the hole in the wall, fix the box into the hole and re-attach all of the wires to the socket itself?

Sponsored Links
The converter doesn't require a new backbox - it will fit on the existing double one. It will stick out further from the wall because of this.

Apart from that, the end result is the same.

Thanks alot for your quick and helpful post! I thought that may have been the case, but am prepared to invest the time to get it properly recessed.

Last question - anywhere cheaper than B&Q (£3.58 for box, £13.48 socket)?

I've looked online but the postage seems to make-up any potential saving.......

The first socket you linked to requires you to remove the existing 2 gang face plate, chisel out the old 2 gang flush box, widen the hole, install the new 3 gang box, patch up the plaster, redecorate and then fit your new 3 gang socket front.

The converter fits onto a standard 2 gang flush box, so you just take the old 2 gang socket front off, and screw this one back on it its place.

Beware though, the convertors are quite a lot thicker than a standard socket front which can't really be seen in the picture in your link.

Personally I don't like 3 gang sockets, they just don't look right to me. I'd much rather see a 2 gang on its own or two 2 gang sockets next to each other.

Also 3 gang sockets are hard to match if you ever decide to fit brass or chrome accesories.

One last thing, don't shop at B&Q. screwfix who are owned by kingfisher (who also own B&Q ;) ) sell the same sockets a quid cheaper.

Clicky thingy

Sponsored Links
Thanks for post. I understand that these arent always ideal, but I am replacing 2 x double sockets both on a very narrow area of wall. Its too narrow for 2 double sockets side by side but one of these should be fine.

I see they're a little cheaper on your link but I cant seem to find a back box on that website?

Thanks again.

Thanks for the post. Yes, I realise, they are not having anything power hungry attached, an LCD TV and freeview box is about the most powerful thing. Everything else will be things like the odd lamp or small micro system.

That should be fine unless I'm seriously mistaken?

The double to triple converter you link to
_88911__201317__.jpg
seems wrong. There is no fuse holder. You can see how the screws fit just under the earth hole with a little plug to hide them normal with converters but you could only use if connected to a ring main as you could overload it if connected to a spur.
The MK one
77345.jpg
clearly is fused which means it could be used on a spur.
I note the Converter socket from Clipsal in screwfix also shows no fuse. Although at £10.76 at least cheaper. But the Volex one at only £7:30 is fused. As it the one socket to three converter at £12.90.
I know not changing box is easy way out but I would want to fit a fused model even on a ring main.

Eric, IIRC those convertors have a little slidey out fuse holder in the side of them, which you can't see in the picture.

It's a good point though and certainly worth checking to make sure.

Thanks alot for your posts. I'm more confident to get this sorted now.

Well for the some unknown reason overnight they have reduced the price on screwfix by a fair bit... its now down to £9.35 or £8.88 for 5 or more. Bargain! (And I thought prices were all going up @ midnight!)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back